1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If you left the journalism biz today ....

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Willie-Butch, Jul 23, 2007.

1. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

That's the current goal: stay in this place long enough to profitably volunteer for a buyout after the shareholders start bitching and then figure it out from there.

2. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Shit, I consider truck driving school about once a month.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

solid, truthful answer that probably half of all of us could put a check mark next to ... in some manner or another.

4. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Right now, I am unemployed and my wife doesn't begin teaching until the middle of the month. First paycheck should be in September.

We're 2 1/2 months behind in rent and two months behind on her car payment.

The wolves are at the door.

Looks like I picked the wrong time to quit sniffing glue.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Can't you get a job delivering pizzas or something to help pay the rent for now?

6. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I would really love to have a job in publications - making game programs/team magazines/scorecards/those things. I know many teams now outsource that work, plus a lot of media guide work. Any idea how to get on with those companies?

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Can't say I haven't written down a phone number or two from those commercials at 2 a.m. ... don't think my back would ever be able to handle sitting at the wheel of a truck for so many hours every week, but I'd definitely consider it.

8. Mediator

Mediator Member

Where I live, teachers can make six figures. Barely, but seriously. If I got my masters in education, I'd start out making the same money I earn after a decade in this business. Plus benefits, decent hours and 12 weeks of vacation.

That's my plan B. It would make financial sense and give me more time with my family.

But I just can't make the jump yet. I love this goddamn job. Hate the business, but I love the chase.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Wedding tackle.

10. Wedding cake.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

teachers or administrators?

12. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Methinks that would be administrators. Principals in my area start at around $75k and go up from there depending on the district and experience. Teachers start at around $30-to-35k. I always thought teaching would be a good fallback...No weekends and summers off. But upon thinking about it, I want to get into an Ad agency. STill be creative, write a lot and not a lot of the constrictions a regular workplace would have.

Truck drivers could make decent money, but there are a lot of costs involved, especially if you own your own truck. A friend of mine owned a dump truck. Hauled dirt, gravel and made $55 an hour. But gas, Tires, insurance and repairs take a BIG chunk out of that.

Draft saved Draft deleted