1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If you left the journalism biz today ....

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Willie-Butch, Jul 23, 2007.

1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Reading the Chron thread, talking with a friend of mine who works for the company I used to think I wanted to spend the rest of my life working for (I don't work for them now) someday........ it makes me wonder some serious doubts.

2. Editude

Editude Active Member

Mrs. Editude is trying some online ventures that aren't in the journalism field. I would consider being the PIO of a big college or public entity whose mission I respected.

3. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

You want to take Nate Dogg's job?

I wouldn't mind being an SID, but not for a long, long time. I think it might be a good retirement job. Move to a nice college town. You'd get to work with kids, still write a little and hang out with other journalists as much as you (or your coach) allows.

4. turnovers

turnovers Member

Wedding singer.

5. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Wedding crasher.

6. Flash

Flash Guest

There's something about a brass pole that a girl just can't get out of her system. ;)

7. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

If she's trying to get a brass pole out of her system, then she's doing it wrong.

8. Flash

Flash Guest

Well played.

9. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Ideally, I would have been a meteorologist, but college math put the kibosh on that.

Now I would like to be SE at a small non-daily 45-90 minutes of Kansas City.

Reality is I'll be stuck in the middle of nowhere making $7 to $9 an hour.

Reality bites.

10. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

My best friend just told me we have a big cement job -- six yards and a hill -- week after next.

YHS, etc

11. joe

joe Active Member

Pour 20 in one day in July and see how well you can finish it all. Because you can't. I kinda like concrete work, but not that much in that short period of time.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

This is a great thread, but very few serious answers...

I agree with the sentiment about teaching. I have a close friend who has been teaching his entire career.

A month ago, he broke up a fight between two students. Had to pull one kid off another and had to get a bit physical while doing it.

The parents of both kids complained to the schoolboard. One was mad he didn't break up the fight sooner and the other was mad that he had to physically pull their precious child off the other kid...

After 14 years on the job, he was suspended... He'll probably be able to keep a job in his district, but will almost definitely have to leave and go to a school where they send the ones who get kicked out of everywhere else.

I may be sick of all of the travel and bullshit that goes with this job, but there's no way in hell I could ever teach...

Draft saved Draft deleted