1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If you haven't run Windows Update lately, please do so

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Dec 1, 2008.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Start menu, control panel, whatever ... just run it and install any and all critical/security updates, especially MS08-067.

Microsoft issued a critical update a month or so ago that plugs a security hole in all versions of Windows. Unfortunately, not everybody has Windows Update set to run automagically; maybe they just find it annoying or don't understand why it's there. (Hi, Mom.) The trouble is that if they don't run it, the security hole is still there and malware operators are using it to build a new botnet.

Thank you. We appreciate it and we invite botnet operators to suck it.

(Botnet: Network of computers hijacked by malware, normally used to relay and resend thousands of spam e-mails, sometimes used for worse things, always for the financial profit of the botnet owner. Big business among the mafiya.)

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Early Tuesday: Microsoft releases largest security update in 5 years, so update.

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9123042

Later Tuesday: Microsoft admits it missed something important.

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9123100

Given the last paragraph, you're probably OK on that one.

3. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Probably worth a bump.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Mine apparently automatically ran today. I turned on my comp this morning (afternoon) and it said it had updated and had to restart.

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Mine ran last night and this morning (afternoon).

6. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

My computer guru says that the update (KB890830) for the Microsoft Malicious Sortware Removal Tool is essential. He says there have been some malware forms develooped lately that cannot be touched unless this update is active.

Anyway, I did the update and it took less than 5 minutes and a simple "Restart" and all is well...

7. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

It wasn't until after I got up this morning that I realized my Windows Security Center wasn't running, and I restarted after I did the updates yesterday. Odd.

8. Done. Thanks 2muchcoffee!

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Explains all the spam you sent me..

10. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Me and my Mac are safe and happy. Suck it, peecees! ;D

11. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

I have Vista. This means I'm safe, right?

12. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Fixed.

Draft saved Draft deleted