1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If you had trouble getting a Wii for xmas, here's why

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by novelist_wannabe, Dec 27, 2007.

1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Or, at least part of why. Bowls wrangled four teams worth of them for college players:

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/uga/stories/2007/12/27/bowl_gifts_1228.html

If you're in the players should be paid camp, then you'll have no problem with this. On the other hand, some of this stuff does seem pretty swank. I like the Best Buy shopping spree.

2. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

And the NCAA that allows this is the same NCAA that suspends college hoops players for half a season because they played one game in their home country overseas on a team that happened to include a couple older pro players.

::)

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Amateur athletes my ass.

4. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Ohio State athletes get 6 free tix to the game but LSU athletes do not? ???

5. Norman Stansfield

What I'd like to know is how many of those Wiis are going to wind up on eBay compliments of said players.

6. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Oh, four teams' worth of Wiis.

7. Norman Stansfield

What a joke. Might as well let the players scalp their tickets, too.

8. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

What makes you think they aren't?

9. Norman Stansfield

I'm sure some do. Maybe they could do a combo deal -- Wii and two tickets to a bowl game.

10. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Some of the players off UGA's 2002 SEC Championship team got caught selling their rings on ebay ...

11. Norman Stansfield

While they were still on the team, I take it? What happened?

12. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

Because you generally don't get free tickets in hand. Your name gets on a list at the gate. Of course, you could sell the chance to get your name on the list, but I think schools do some sort of vetting of the list to make sure the players aren't actually selling them.

In the old days, they did get actually tickets and alums would pony up big bucks to buy them as an extra incentive.

Draft saved Draft deleted