1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If you had to explain John McCain's vision for America…what would it be?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Alma, May 22, 2008.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Somebody asked me this question. I had to admit - I was a little stumped.

By "vision," of course, my friend was saying "in 4/8 years, what would John McCain want this nation to look like?"

I thought in 2000, McCain laid a clear vision to do some serious navel-gazing and Fix The System. Pork-laden bills. Ethics. Lobbyists. General transparency in government. Take a flamethrower to it.

Today? I wonder. Is he, like Bush I, just a four-year placeholder for the GOP's next Chosen One (who looks and talks like Mitt Romney, but isn't a Mormon?). Is he the "I'm Not Obama" candidate? Would he dust off the 2000 playbook as soon as he got into office and set fire to the Beltway? Or am I missing the grander plan?(I admit I might be)

Enlighten, please. Without getting dumb or childish. Thanks.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I'll take the man at his word. Major tax cuts funded by major but as yet unspecified cuts in spending. A confrontational foreign policy aimed at Russia and China. And of course, at least four more years of the Iraq War.
    That's not snark. Those are stated policies of Candidate McCain. He hasn't tried to hide them.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Do you want someone who has fought and served for our country with almost two decades of experience in the Senate, or someone who has been a Senator for less than half a term?

I like Obama, but McCain's experience is a huge factor for me. It doesn't hurt that he is a genuine war hero either. I respect the hell out of the guy.

Now I'll go away so everyone can rip him to shreds...

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Argument from 2004.

Fell on deaf ears.

Including yours, mizzou.

5. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

With all due respect, that's an awfully simplistic way to put it. You really think that's enough information with which to make a choice?

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Do you want someone who has fought and served for our country with almost two decades of experience in the Senate, or someone who has been a Senator for less than half a term?

The question was "If you had to explain John McCain's vision for America…what would it be?"

Sheesh - are the drones who follow the republican handbook that lacking in reading comprehension?

7. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

This is not meant as a swipe at McCain, but as a serious question: Why is he a hero? Are you automatically a hero if you serve in the armed forces? Do you have to serve in a war to get the designation? Are you more of a hero if you are wounded or taken prisoner? Do those facts alone qualify you, or do you have to do something extraordinary to be a hero?

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Active Member

I'm not convinced he has any vision for America beyond this: Four more years, stay the course.

9. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

He wants to be different than Dubya, but so far I haven't seen anything to suggest that he would be.

10. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Fantastic. Expect to see more of this in the next five months. McCain today said Obama had no right to criticize McCain's opposition to the expansion of the GI Bill because he never served in uniform.

"And I will not accept from Senator Obama, who did not feel it was his responsibility to serve our country in uniform, any lectures on my regard for those who did," the Arizona senator said in a harshly worded statement issued Thursday.

Of course, McCain couldn't be arsed to actually go back to Washington and vote against the bill.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I won't presume to answer, I'll only pop my head in to say that Pat The Crazy Racist summed it up like this:

"The jobs aren't coming back, the Mexicans aren't going home and we're going to be at war for a hundred years."

12. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Of course, you left out the part of the quote where McCain explained his opposition.

Draft saved Draft deleted