1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If you graduate from a top-notch school, is it easy to get a feature job?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by kweonsam, Sep 22, 2015.

1. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Fuck Missouri. Not All --- But Almost every person I've known who graduated there is a pompous jackass who for some reason thinks they're more talented, more intellectual and generally just a better fucking person all the way around than anyone else. I don't know what it is about that fucking place but they can go to hell. Fuck them and their damn J-school. They ain't that fucking special.

2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I've had similar experiences.

Northwestern grads have always impressed, though.

3. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Doc, Rip, I think the same can be said for most all J-schools. There's pompous jackasses from each one, whether it's Mizzou, Florida, Columbia, Northwestern, the Cal schools -- whatever. I certainly don't think of myself as better -- or special -- because I graduated from Mizzou. Nor do any of the other three guys I worked with who graduated from Mizzou, one who's an SE, one who's an AutoCAD editor, one who's a lawyer.

Sorry your mileage has varied.

4. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

I've known a couple good guys from Mizzou. The other 40 or so were all pieces of shit. Gives the school a real shitty image. Fuck 'em.

5. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

I've never looked down upon graduates of Missouri or other "prestigious" journalism schools (unless they've been the pompous jackasses described above), but neither have I treated them as anything special because of their academic background. And it shouldn't really matter where you went to school. Some of the most talented people I've worked with went to small liberal-arts colleges such as Augustana, Coe and Wabash without taking a single journalism class. I've also worked with grads of highly rated journalism schools who floundered in the workplace and couldn't hold a job.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
    Doc Holliday likes this.
  6. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

The fact that I'm a pompous jackass has nothing to do with the fact that I graduated from a good J-school.

Tweener and Doc Holliday like this.
  7. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

I've worked with several Mizzou grads. All good people.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That's so academicist!

I love all college grads. Unless they went to The Ohio State.

9. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Or Texas.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Goes without saying.

11. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Worked with a Northwestern grad at my first daily. She was quite proud of it, but I reminded her that I, a state school grad, was making 25 cents more per hour than she was ($7.75 v $7.50 in 1986).

She's a college professor now and I'm still a journalist, so I guess it worked out ok for her.

Draft saved Draft deleted