1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If you graduate from a top-notch school, is it easy to get a feature job?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by kweonsam, Sep 22, 2015.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

BTW, what does a "feature job" mean?

I won't even get into someone asking if getting any job is "easy." Unless it's in the fast-food business.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

You are a special snowflake. I wouldn't even worry about it.

murphyc, TyWebb and MonsterLobster like this.
  3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

This sounds like the best education plan I've heard in a long time.

4. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

If you graduated from the Missouri or Northwestern journalism schools and applied at several of the newspapers I worked at early in my career, you were almost guaranteed an interview. But otherwise it didn't make much difference.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
  5. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

6. k8m4

k8m4 New Member

Resting on a school's laurels is a terrible way to go about job seeking in any industry. You had it right in the first part of your question: work hard and network like hell. Those are what matters.

7. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Just transfer to Missouri and you'll be set.

8. KVV33

KVV33 Member

No one should start out writing features. It's a recipe for bad features. Aspire to something. Learn how to talk to people. Learn where to find them. Learn how to hold someone's attention over 400 words, then 600, then 1000. Then write a 2000-word piece knowing it's likely not going to be very good. Have someone edit it harshly. Don't whine. Write a few more 1500-word pieces that are really good. Do more reporting. Read more. Recognize that an endless loop of positive feedback will have negative consequences. Write more. Hire a dog-walker, but don't gripe about it. Resist the desire to hashtag your #process. Write more. Volunteer to cover night cops. Learn how to cover a trial. Write more.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I heard there's a feature job open at the L.A. Times.

SFIND, jr/shotglass and murphyc like this.
  10. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

11. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

12. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted