1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If you get laid off or bought out what will you do?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mizzougrad96, Jul 7, 2008.

?

If you get laid off or bought out what will you do?

1. Look for another job in journalism

22 vote(s)
    25.3%
  2. Look for another job outside of journalism

65 vote(s)
    74.7%
  1. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

I really have no fuckn clue what I'm going to do if I get layed off. I do know, I'm desperately searching for a new gig, which as most of you know, is very tough since the market is flooded with a lot of quality journalists right now.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

16-0. Holy shit.

3. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

i'm gonna work in the cart barn at the local muny. I have experience in this field, and you get to play for free, too.
    during my last forced sabbatical, i got my handicap down to about a 3 because i spent time hitting balls and playing.

4. I'm guessing a lot of people that have been in the bidness a while know how hard it would be to find a similar-level job ($$$) somewhere else. Lots of young, inexpensive kids ready to take your place.

Plus, if you have roots, family, kids, etc., why would you move for a job at another paper that probably doesn't have any better job security?

5. Mizzougrad96

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Don't do what I did, namely fuck up your life royally for six or eight months because you refuse to acknowledge you're under severe emotional stress.
    Those looking for work outside newspapers are on the right track. Oddly enough, we DO have skills that are desirable to employers besides papers. I'm working in a business I didn't know existed when I was at the Herald. It's not as much fun, but there are lots worse jobs, and it's a good company.

7. Bump_Wills

Bump_Wills Member

A very good friend of mine once answered me thusly when I suggested that another journalism job might be a good fit for him:

"This rap game, this rap game,
    I ain't sellin' my soul for this rap game,
    I ain't diggin' no hole for this rap game,
    This rap game, this rap game

"You know what I mean? There's nothing in this business that would be worth moving my family, giving up an unbelievable mortgage/home equity situation and uprooting from a place that truly feels like home."

That's where I am now. I'm not going to chase better opportunities in this business, because I don't think there are any. I'm in a good situation. If it stops being a good situation -- and judging from the speed of deterioration elsewhere, I wouldn't be surprised if it does -- I'm finding something else to do, right here at home.

8. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

I voted that I'm staying in journalism, but I don't expect to be laid off or bought out any time soon. I'm at a 16K family-owned daily, so we don't have the corporate jackals or the stockholders to ruin our shop.

I will say this: When I took this job a year ago, I said I'd stay 2-5 years and then attempt to move up. Now I look at the stability we have in our shop and the cuts being made across the country, and I realize I'm probably going to stick around here a little bit longer.

I can, however, understand everybody else's trepidation when it comes to staying in this profession. And I don't think leaving the business is an indication of a lack of desire or passion. But this is all I know how to do. So I'm not leaving anytime soon.

9. Mizzougrad96

Don't do what the guy in Orlando did.

I think the layoffs were the hardest on the first ones hit. Now everyone is getting hit and it's just become something that everyone in the field has to deal with either now or in the not-so-distant future.

10. Mizzougrad96

Great, the shutout is ruined... :D

11. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

Sorry Mizzou.

12. Mizzougrad96

All we want is honest answers... I thought it might be 60-40 or so, but the results are pretty amazing.

Draft saved Draft deleted