1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If you don't cry at this story...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by slappy4428, Nov 29, 2010.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Took me two tries to finish the story...

Dog roams to visit owner's grave

Marci Reed kisses her late son Joshua's dog Zelda during a visit to his gravestone near Bremen, Ind. Zelda frequently runs to the cemetery to lie on Joshua's grave after Joshua was killed in a four-wheeler accident last year. Zelda and her owner, Joshua Reed, 15, were inseparable. Now, she goes and lies on his grave.

http://www.freep.com/article/20101128/FEATURES10/101128013/1319/&template=fullarticle

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

God, that story's so powerful.

3. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

dusty here

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Compounded by the fact I was gone all day... family friend let our dogs out -- Jack is attached to me, Dottie to Ms. Slappy.
    Friend lets Jack out and he roams around the yard. It's a nice sunny day so he heads to the corner of the lot and looks down the street and sits down. looks up at the friend, then back down the street, then back to her.
    "It's OK," she told Jack, "He's coming home soon to see you."
    When I get home, I sit at the computer to do some work and see this story.

5. Colton

Colton Active Member

I just hugged Rocky (my German Shepherd).

Wow...

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Tough one to read.

When I was a teenager, my black lab got cancer and we were going to have to put him down. My dad delayed making the appointment until it was obvious Pepper was in pain. He finally made it and we both slept restlessly, knowing that we were going to have to take our dog to die in the morning.

When we woke up, he had died in the night. We're both convinced that he knew how horrible it was going to be for us to put him down and he gave up his fight with the cancer in the middle of the night to spare us the pain.

7. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Wow. Thanks for posting that, Slappy. My parents had to put our last dog to sleep. I was away at college. It was 21 years ago, but I still miss her.

8. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

My parents had to put down the dog I've had since I was nine years old this past summer. I was bawling in the bathroom most of the night at work.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

This is how the story is going to end ...

http://www.prairieghosts.com/h_lawn.html

Stiffy Green is a legend in Terre Haute. He's had bands named after him.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I applaud the reporter for writing that story. Wonder how that came about?

At a lot of places, if someone called to try to report that story to the paper, they'd get laughed at.

As an aside, I think ATVs must be the most dangerous inventions ever.

11. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

the problem with that, Ace, is that it was operator error here, not a flawed design, that caused the death... though I do agree they are inheritently dangerous

Draft saved Draft deleted