1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If you could write a 5,000-word takeout on one athlete, who would it be?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Jan 16, 2007.

1. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Red Klotz, the losingest "coach" in the history of losing.

2. In Exile

In Exile Member

Dandy Don Meredith

3. IGotQuestions

IGotQuestions Member

Mine would be Patrick Knight. Already been done, but growing up as Bob's kid.

Second choice, Eddie Balfour and what makes him such a kook.

4. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

How about a story about U.S. Olympians who win gold, but struggle with their lives after that one big moment in their lives. I once did a feature on a former gold medal winner in boxing who was living in a small town and was trying to pick up the pieces of his pro boxing career against his wife's wishes. He was working as a janitor on the side as he was trying to get his name back out there. He also told me he was mismanaged professionally by a top former boxing champion shortly after his Olympic gold moment was over.

Football: Offensive linemen. Hell, the Denver Bronco linemen, as a rule, don't speak.
    Baseball: Get in the mindset of a guy who is only a cog in the wheel: the set-up man for a closer.
    Basketball: Earl Boykins. The 5,000 words would be bigger than him.
    Hockey: Do a story on either team captains and find out why they get the honor and how it changes them or do a feature on a defensive-minded defenseman now that the NHL is so much more offensive-minded at the position
    Auto racing: Talk to an entire pit crew to describe their roles in making one guy look great on a weekly basis
    Tennis: Roger Federer.
    Pro Wrestling: I saw that one person said Vince McMahon. How about do a story on Ric Flair. The guy is pushing 60, still wrestling on a regular basis for WWE and has many enemies as much as he is loved by the fans. He's done a lot, even survived a plane crash in the 1970s. He's also wrestled in AWA, NWA, WCW, WWF and WWE as well as everywhere overseas. He even thought about running for office in North Carolina. He's also opinionated and you can check it out on YouTube.

5. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

Billy Mills.

6. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

It's been done, and most people know his story of going from an out-of-shape guy who was going to quit his sport as a teenager to one of the most prolific scorers in the NHL, but Brett Hull would still be a favourite. I guess the upside is you never quite know exactly what he's going to say.

Another ex-NHL player I'd love a shot at is Dino Ciccarelli. Very colourful guy, another longshot after he broke his leg, the off-ice incidents, the hall-of-fame snub (so far), and now his family's involvement in owning a junior team and how hard it may be for him to stay out of it.

I agree with others though that some of the first names I thought of were McGwire and Barry Sanders... guys who still have that mystery about them.

7. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

Joe Pa might be in there if it were full co-operation.

I love the story of guys who just lose their game, will or whatever. Duval, Baker-Finch, Bob May (been done), Roy Jones, Agassi (on the slide to No. 181, of course got it back), Borg (that would be a rich one if the suicide/non-suicide attempt were on the table), Jim Ryun, maybe Kurt Warner. The harder to fathom the loss the better. I keep thinking of (I hope I have the name right) Chip Oliver, who dropped out of the Raiders and NFL at the height of Flower Power et al.

And the Ciccarellis are asswipes to a one, terrible to work with. 500 words would be tough to fill.

YHS, etc

8. Football: Billy Sims or Bo Jackson
    Baseball: Whitey Ford
    Hockey: Claude Lemieux (just to find out why the guy is such a cocksucker!)
    Soccer: Hahahahahahahahhaahahahahahaa!
    Basketball: Michael Ray Richardson or Scottie Pippen
    Golf: Tiger Woods or Bobby Jones
    NASCAR: Jeff Gordon or Kirk Shelmerdine
    Tennis: Jennifer Capriati

If I'm picking only one: Bob Jones

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Only problem is Paterno can't stand any media members that don't keep their lips firmly pressed to his backside at all times, and even them he barely tolerates.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Just rent Fighting Back (RIP Art Carney and Robert Urich) and focus on Rocky's post-career stuff.

11. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

Already read the book. Already have a direction mapped out. But thanks for the tip.

12. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Well he did make a comeback, and that led to his infamous fall in his last Olympics.

I tried to do an Eric Heiden feature once and, because of a mixture of personal issues and a incredible computer meltdown right on deadline, did a lousy job.

Main reason: He and I were on the high school cross-country team together, although I was a couple of years ahead of him. His father was my orthopedic guy when I was injured. And I found it very difficult/impossible to write an in-depth feature on a guy I knew personally.

But he'd probably be a great catch-up feature for somebody now.

Draft saved Draft deleted