1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If you could write a 5,000-word takeout on one athlete, who would it be?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Jan 16, 2007.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

Fixed. :D

2. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

How about the first Russian hockey players to defect to America? Their stories would be fascinating.

3. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

And don't forget breakout boxes. Gotta have those, since readers would rather have capsules than a story. ::)

All other things considered, five-time Olympic gold medal-winning speedskater, Dr. Eric Heiden, who happens to be the orthopedist for the Sacto Kings, I think.

Every story I read about Steve Nash reveals a little more, and every one of them is interesting. Someone should take a crack at the definitive takeout.

4. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Tossup between Maria Sharapova and Natalie Gulbis. Duh.

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

If it's based purely on level of hotness, than Jake Plummer, but they do have to be willing to speak to you and give intelligent answers.

6. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

I already eked out nearly 4K on the athlete I wanted to do the definitive takeout on ... ;)

But for the next time around ...

Rocky Bleier.

(and HB, good call on the first Russian NHLers.)

7. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Not anymore. Heiden moved to Utah a year ago.

An interesting note about Heiden; he also competed in the Tour de France and is now on the board of directors for the Tour of Utah and, I think, US Speedskating which also relocated its offices to SLC.

I interviewed him a month ago about the TofU (love the acronym) and he's a pretty cool guy. His partner in the ortho hospital is a world renowned cycling and speedskating expert.

8. John

John Well-Known Member

Shot putter Adam Nelson would be high on my list. Smart guy (Dartmouth grad) who has been through a ton in his career.

9. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

arod - how can everything be so right, and yet so wrong?
    shaq - wouldn't you love to hang with him for a day? you could do 1,000 words on his wardrobe.
    george - the lion in winter
    john walsh - the genius behind espn

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

Wizard Kelly.

"It all started with an orange basketball, y'all."

11. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Reggie and Cheryl Miller, together, if only to see who out talks the other.

12. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Randall Cunningham

Draft saved Draft deleted