1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If you could win one sports trophy......

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by schiezainc, Jun 12, 2009.

1. Cape_Fear

Cape_Fear Active Member

The Stanley Cup because of all the blood, sweat and tears that goes into winning it.

And like Alley said, you're part of it foreever, or at least 50 years or so until they replace the band that your etched on.

2. Yet another vote for Lord Stanley's Cup. The Claret Jug is a distant second in my book.

3. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

I'm not considering health or anything...I just like the look of it and think it's one of the most, if not the most, iconic trophy in sports.

4. Orange Hat Bobcat

Orange Hat Bobcat Active Member

I have visited the Hockey Hall of Fame in Toronto (with thanks to JR and others) and have looked at the older bands of the Stanley Cup. I have watched as many Stanley Cup celebrations as possible after the last game of the finals each season just to see the players cry and skate around the ice with the trophy in the air. I have even purchased a Wayne Gretzky action figure ...

[​IMG]

... because how cool is an action figure that features a Stanley Cup? But ...

... I am a distance runner. And because I am a distance runner, my Holy Grail is not the Stanley Cup but the Boston Marathon Champions Trophy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now there is nothing all that historic about the trophy -- race officials first commissioned the design in December 1999 and unveiled the physical trophy the next year, which means the metal and wood has been around for less than a decade -- but the allure of winning the trophy, of having your name etched on a plaque on the wood base for the next century, is about more than the trophy. The Boston Marathon is the Mecca for distance runners from across the Unites States and around the world. Many of the better marathoners fly from wherever they might live and train to Boston, then drive to tiny Hopkinton for the start of the race. The Boston Marathon is also perhaps the only marathon many casual race fans even hear about, much less read about, during the course of the year. You might not remember who won two months ago (Deriba Merga of Ethiopia won the Men's Open and Salina Kosgei of Kenya won the Women's Open), but you do hear about the race, if only for a couple of minutes one afternoon each year. More than can be said for most marathons.

There is also the matter that no American man has won the Boston Marathon since 1983 -- more than seven months before I was born -- and no American woman has won the Boston Marathon since 1985. Ryan Hall and Kara Goucher each finished third in their Open races in April and, afterward, Goucher openly cried. She wanted to be the one to snap that skid, she said. She wanted to be the one who won. This race does matter. And though I will likely never hoist the Champions Trophy over my head, if I can lower my own marathon time a couple more minutes, I will at least be in the race. I doubt I will ever play in the NBA Finals, the Super Bowl, the World Series, even the Stanley Cup Finals for that wonderful trophy. And maybe that's the reason I would want to raise this trophy so much: Because I will at least be in the race. In theory, I will have a shot.

(Of course, the laurel wreath worn as a crown by the champion isn't bad, either.

[​IMG])

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

[​IMG]

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

1) Lombardi Trophy - Only because I have been basically a lifelong football fan
    2) Stanley Cup - Haven't been a fan as long, but it's gaining a LOT of steam. Plus I have a photo with it ... with a sweater of the reigning champs when it was taken. :D
    3) World Cup
    4) Claret Jug

7. Diego Marquez

Diego Marquez Member

I'm pretty sure the Stanley Cup is the only one that will allow you to be designated an "ASS MAN" as I know of no other trophies with such designations printed directly on them.

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Winner.

9. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

You know, a World Series of Poker bracelet is a damn fine addition to this discussion. Love the rationale with the Boston Marathon trophy as well.

I think if I could also change my nationality, I'd love to be British and win Wimbledon. Talk about having free reign in an entire country. I'm pretty sure the first Brit who breaks that streak could kill a classroom of first graders and the authorities would be like "Well, he must have had good reason. He did win Wimbledon."

10. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I'll echo the broken record and pick up the Stanley Cup.

I'm not even that much of a hockey fan, but I know enough to know that the trophy has a history, reverence and aura all its own. How many playoffs are officially named for the trophy? The NHL playoffs are.

The gold medal would be up there too, but, you know, I've always liked the idea of winning a trophy with a team of guys that you've worked hard and competed with all season.

The Lombardi Trophy is also one I liked to lift.

I'm a huge baseball fan above anything else, but that Commissioner's Trophy is horrid. And fragile too: You can't really hoist it or parade it around without breaking off a couple of flags.

11. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Or to be a Canadian team to win the Stanley Cup.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I think you earn $1.3 million for the Masters.

No love for being the toughest man on the planet and winning the Heavyweight belt?

Draft saved Draft deleted