1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If you could win one sports trophy......

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by schiezainc, Jun 12, 2009.

1. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

The Stanley Cup. And then I would take to a party where the exploits would be talked about for years.

2. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Guest

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Olympic Gold Medal. You get to keep it, and not just for 48 hours.

Signifies that --- at least on the given day of competition --- you were the best in the world at your event.

I'd take an individual trophy over a team trophy any day. With a team trophy, a lot of it has to do with being at the right place at the right time. Dan Marino never won a Super Bowl. It took Ray Bourque 20-something years to finally win a Stanley Cup. Alexander Ovechkin and Sidney Crosby, for all their exploits, might never win one. There are many more variables.

4. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I don't play or even like the sport, but Wimbledon has to be in the discussion.
    Pin me down, I'll go for Stanley (no, I don't play, but I do like).

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Wimbldon woulda been my second choice.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Wimbledon's pretty cool, but I'd take The (British) Open Championship first because of all the history and how hard it is to win.

Michael Wilbon made an interesting point recently comparing Roger Federer's 14 major titles to Tiger Woods' 14 major titles. Said golf was harder because you have to beat 155 other guys. In tennis, you have to beat 7, maybe only 3-4 of which are capable of beating you on a given day. In a golf major, there are probably 30-40 guys capable of winning the title. Interesting point.

But, hey, both trophies are cool.

7. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

For me hands down it's the Stanley Cup, but if I had to pick something else, I would say the Indy 500 trophy. The thing is like 6 feet tall and you don't just get your name engraved on it, you get your face engraved.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

Olympic gold. It belongs to me, not the team, and I get to keep it for life.

But I am opposed to the National anthem ceremony. The Olympic Games are supposed to be about sports and sportsmanship, not politics.
    Give me my medal on the podium as they do now, but cut out the nationalistic jingoistic shit.

9. Bruce Leroy

Bruce Leroy Active Member

Yep.

10. didntdoit19

didntdoit19 Member

[​IMG]

11. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

World Cup

12. pressboxer