1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If you could win one sports trophy......

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by schiezainc, Jun 12, 2009.

1. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Ok, so I'm listening to Mad Dog Radio on Sirius on the ride home today. Andy Gresh is having an interesting discussion. His topic? If you could hoist one sports trophy, what would it be and why?

He argued the Stanley Cup was the most prestigious of the major league championship trophies. I agree.

That being said, I think I'd rather hoist the Lombardi trophy. Feels like it would be a cooler experience.

So what say you? Stanley Cup? Lombardi? World Series? That big ugly basketball? Or, would you go one better and want the Green Jacket of the Masters or an Olympic gold medal? Sounds like it could make for an interesting discussion.

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Stanley Cup. There is no other.

3. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Stanley Cup. Next.

4. schiezainc

Even more so than winning an Olympic gold medal? I mean, think about it. You're on the podium, representing your country, your national anthem playing. Gotta be special, right?

5. CHETtheJET

CHETtheJET Member

Interesting bit I learned from a Bill Simmons cast...Jackie O went to the new stadium yank museum and there were only 5-6 WS trophies...why...it wasn't created until 1967 or around that year...

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Easy. Stanley Cup.

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

But you asked, "If you could hoist one sports trophy, what would it be and why?" A medal's not a trophy.

If we stick with trophies, I'm going with the Stanley Cup. Not only does everyone get a chance to skate around the ice with it, but you get 48 hours to so to take it wherever you want. It's cool seeing players take it to their hometowns or around the town for everyone to see.

8. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Yeah, no question.

9. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Yep exactly. But I will say this, standing up on the podium with a gold medal around your neck while your nation's national anthem is playing would be pretty fucking cool.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The Stanley Cup - the World Series trophy is just ugly, the Super Bowl and NBA trophies are too new.

After the Cup I'd go with swinging Paul Bunyan's Axe or hoisting Floyd of Rosedale.

11. schiezainc

Yes, but in this instance, an Olympic medal qualifies as a trophy, as does a Green Jacket at the masters and/or a $25 gift card for Target from winning your local pub's darts competition.

Basically, if you could have any one symbol of winning from a sporting event, what would it be?

Shit, I'd go with hoisting the WWE Championship at WrestleMania in front of 74,000 fans but that's because I am a fanboi looser. :0)

12. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

Lord Stanley.

Draft saved Draft deleted