1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If you could travel back in time and change one event (in your life) ... ?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by schiezainc, Mar 28, 2014.

1. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Sure...I got a problem...who are you?
    You took a (semi-racist) poke at my favorite show with that question, I gave you an answer.

Who's got the problem?

2. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I was 2 when the show came on, so I was probably 5-8 years old when it was big on TV and I was able to stay up and watch.
    The car was cool...Bo & Luke were badass....Boss Hogg was funny to watch get his planned foiled, and Roscoe had Flash.
    The fact that the cousins hung out and loved each other so much struck a chord with me because I was an only child and my cousins were the best friends I had.
    I'm a white kid from the extreme north of Michigan. It did nothing for me in the way of socio-political standing. I didn't say I live my life by the flag that was on the roof of the car.
    But go ahead...get all pissy with me when I make a half-hearted stab back after making a joke.

You people need to take a step back and realize what is going on and stop taking everything so seriously.
    Sheesh. Take a chill pill, like gag me with a spoon.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Moon Zappa just twitched and doesn't know why.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qb21lsCQ3EM

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Really need to get Moon Zappa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qb21lsCQ3EM

and the singer of Nada Surf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNc45FTenhg

and make the coolest talking song ever.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Better the Dukes of Hazzard than some racist show like All in the Family.

6. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I like how Fart is the racist for suggesting a show, for all its goofy charm, might be slightly dripping with racist and sexist overtones and might be papering over the mostly dreadful history of the South.
    I asked if a black dude was ever on the show, squirt.
    Wifey and I could not remember a singular black character, other than a mechanic. (Make of that what you will.)

7. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

At the risk of sounding like Uncle Rico, I'd go back and make the game-winning shot that rimmed out in the Sub-State game against Brewster my junior year. I can't imagine anything too major in my life would have turned out different, but we'd have gone to state for the first time in school history and I'd have been in a much better mood the next few weeks.

8. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

I have a lot of regrets, some (one in particular and a second, to a lower degree) that still eat at me 15 years later.

But, I can't say I'd change anything because I wouldn't want to risk my children. The third was a fluke and although the second was planned, we were planning on him a few months later, if you get my drift.

So, I guess if I had to do it, I would make the cut off be after my youngest was conceived.

9. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I'd love to be a veterinarian or run a dog day care. Love being around animals.

And mine also involves the one who got away. Sweetest girl I have ever known, but she was a Mormon, and while I didn't really know what that meant, I used it as an excuse not to ask her out because I really was just a wuss. I had the best relationship with her that I have had with any woman in my life, joking/flirting/laughing, and her friends would sometimes hint to me that I should ask her out, but we just remained good friends. I haven't seen her in almost 25 years, and I still think about her occasionally. Last I knew she was married and living in suburban Atlanta. I know I would have married that girl, but I kept putting off asking her out, and then she moved and I was pretty devastated because I had no way to find her. :'(

10. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

All choices have led me to where I am, so no big changes. Love my life.

As for the trivial, I would have started playing golf much earlier. Didn't get serious until right after college. I'm a total addict now. Wish I would have played on the high school team. Didn't because it was the "nerdy" sport, so I ran track instead (mostly because of the girls). What a dope I was.

No illusions I would be a a great player or anything had I started earlier, but looking back, that's something I would change.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Start doing endurance sports when I was younger. Getting into long-distance cycling and 50Ks in your 40s sucks.

Also, not spend about $15,000 helping a girl who I was sleeping with back in grad school through her preganancy - since the baby came out the wrong ethnicity to be mine.

12. Like most everyone .. girls... In my case two.
    A cute freshman who was in heat. I - a senior - was scared - a never pulled the trigger. She ended up popping her cherry to a fellow Jehovah's Witness in his car while skipping school. She got caught. ... Not sure how that ended for her.
    He - a steroids and pill addict - died a few months ago in a motorcycle accident.
    One second thought ...

I wish I had pulled the trigger and asked out this sophomore chick who had a crush on me. I had a HUGE crush on her, but I never asked her out. Today, she is still single and has MS.

To the question at hand ...

My all-time biggest regret was not playing HS football. God I love that game, I went to a small high school, weighed a 135 pounds as a senior, but I could run and jump like a gazelle. Good hands too. I deeply regret not trying out to see what could have been; not the pros or even college, but high school ... sigh ...
    In college I played intramural football and led the league in TDs two years straight - as a freshman and a sophomore.

Draft saved Draft deleted