1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If you could travel back in time and change one event (in your life) ... ?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by schiezainc, Mar 28, 2014.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I'd go back two months and make my dad get his heart checked.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'll go polar opposite... I would have cut my dad out of my life earlier. We've spoken once in the last six years and I feel like a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders because I'm no longer doing idiotic things to try to please someone who is incapable of being happy with anything... Being around him always made me miserable because I knew if there was anything good in my life he would do something to try to ruin it or if things weren't going well, he'd be more than happy to pile on...

Life is too short to have anyone like that in your life, even if they're family.

3. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I'd go back and fish for tilapia.

4. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I'd go back and spend more time talking to my grandfather to find out what life was like in Russia in the late 1800s and hear stories about him emigrating to the U.S.

I'd also take the trip to see my brother before he died. I had a plane ticket to visit, but when his health improved, decided to wait a bit to see him when he felt better. He never did and died a week later.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Replace all those French classes in middle/high school with Spanish.

Replace all those psychology classes in college with Russian classes.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I don't get the 'no regrets' approach.

Perhaps it's my very Catholic upbringing, but I am wracked with regret.

I understand that all moments, actions and decisions lead us to where we are right now.

I like where I am right now.

However, that doesn't mean I don't have regrets.

You can't actually go back and change things, so there is no issue of breaking the string that led you to your current point.

I wish I did a lot of things differently, but they are done and in the past. Regretting them doesn't mean I dislike where I am now.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Girl-wise: The one from Santa Maria.

If I could go back to change one thing? I'd go back to Roswell and erase the thought that I could do cocaine once out of curiosity and that would be the end of it. I refuse to have regrets about that moment and what happened for the next 10 years because I made the decision to be a functional junkie.

But if I could go back to 2002 and reverse that decision, I would in a heartbeat. To take it one step further, I would go back to the first time I smoked pot and declined the invitation to do so.

8. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

To go the opposite of the one that got away, if I could go back in time, there's one I'd let get away. Long story short a female I went with in high school wasn't any good for me. Wasted two good years that I should have been doing something more productive in.

Best advice I ever got at my high school graduation was from an older friend... don't waste your time in college chasing girls. Little did he know I'd already found out.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The crappy ones you date make you appreciate the good ones...

10. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I took my first guitar lesson at the age of 39. I would move that up about 30 years and also learned piano. And then I'd hope that such a move would have led to majoring in music instead of journalism.

11. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

My first choice is obvious, so I won't talk about that one (other than to note that I'm sure many of you wish I could change that moment, too).

I had enough credits going into my senior year of high school that I could have stopped going after first trimester, so about a week in that fall I decided it was pretty stupid to go at all. I called the University of Minnesota admissions office, managed to find a guy who would talk to me and look at my record and who agreed to admit me as a freshman, even though I hadn't graduated from high school.

If I had finished my senior year, I likely would have gone to a much fancier school and probably on the east coast. I would have lived in a dorm and had a what I imagine as a traditional college experience. I probably would have made lots of mistakes, but not the ones I ended up making by virtue of staying in Minneapolis and the people I knew there.

I have no regrets and I don't believe my life would have been better. In fact, I think I might have hated the life I ended up with had I not set myself on the path I did with that decision to start at the U. I do often think about how different things would be, though.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Dude, it's only college athletes finally able to cash in and get some much-needed rights. No need to beat yourself up over that.

Seriously, hope you're Ok

Draft saved Draft deleted