1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If you could travel back in time and change one event (in your life) ... ?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by schiezainc, Mar 28, 2014.

1. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Alrighty folks. So my wife and I just watched the movie About Time and it got me thinking about the concept of time travel.
    I won't spoil the movie but the basic concept, for those of you who haven't seen it, is that this guy finds out the men in his family can travel back in time to any moment of their life that they choose and relive it or change it, etc.
    So that got me thinking.
    If you had the ability to go back to any specific moment in your life and change it, what would it be?
    The caveat here is that it has to be a specific moment or your life and the intent here is to simply change your life, not change the history of time (I.E. Killing Hitler or stopping 9/11 or something).
    Also, the other stipulation is you have to life out the consequences of your choice. So if you do change some milestone moment in your life, from that point on you're in real time and have to play things out. You'd still consciously be aware of the change and know what your life was supposed to be like so you could still play it out the way it was going to if you want to (meaning you'd still meet your significant other, have kids, etc).
    I'm interested to see what moment everyone would turn to and why that moment is the moment they've chosen. Also, I'd love to know what you would change, if anything, and how you think it would play out from that point on.
    So, what would you change?

2. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Also, I'll contribute mine here.
    I would travel back to eighth grade. I had just gotten out of school and was hanging out with this girl Jocelyn who was my first crush/first love.
    She was in seventh grade and on this particular afternoon, two boys from some other school came to our school and started yelling at us. They basically punked us out and rather than standing up for myself, I froze and she got in a fist-fight with them while I ran to get help.
    For a long time after that, I had a lot of self-confidence issues and I attribute that moment to my early struggles with women and my general pussy nature throughout high school.
    I immediately regretted not standing up for myself/for us and, not surprisingly, she lost interest in me pretty quickly after that.
    If I could go back to any moment, I would pick that one because I look at that as a key moment in my adolescent development and one that really set me back for years.
    I'd go back to that moment and, as soon as the two kids starting running their mouths at us, I would punch them both in the face and tell Jocelyn I've got this, to go get someone.
    Now, I'm not an idiot. I would have gotten my ass kicked royally by sheer numbers alone but I really feel that the way my life would have played out from that point on would have been extremely different. I would have been a lot more confident, a lot more sure of myself around women and would have had a much more enjoyable high school experience.
    To this day, this remains one of my biggest regrets and I'd love nothing more than to go back, do what I should have done and see how things played out from there.
    How about you?

3. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

This is easy. I would go to every point in time where I could have gotten laid and didn't and sealed the deal.

Oh, and I would not have taken my dog to the vet to get her last round of vaccinations about this time a year ago. She was overdosed by accident and it lead to an anemic disorder that eventually killed her. She would have turned 9 next Tuesday.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Ding, ding, we have a winner.

There is one girl that I still think about. Freshman year in college, I'm at a party and I notice this pretty redhead staring a hole in me. I can't figure out why, so I stare back for a few seconds and then forget about it.

A short while later, I go to another party. I see another girl who was in one of my classes and we exchange a brief hello. The red headed girl is near her, and as I walk away, she goes over to my classmate and says something. I overhear my classmate tell her, "Oh sure, I know Baron, let me tell you about him." I turn to look, and they glance at me and smile and turn away.

More time passes, and I see the redhead at a couple of more parties, but yet, I don't have the guts to go up to her. At one party, I'm chatting up this other girl, and I look over across the room and I see Red watching me with a sad look and then tapping one of her girlfriends on the arm and pointing at me. Still didn't have the guts to go over. Oh, and the girl I was chatting up had a boyfriend on the football team. Heh.

So now we spend a couple of parties watching each other,and seeing her girlfriends giggle. Twice we end up next to each other, and both times she asks why I was staring at her. The first time, I denied it. Second time, I said I should be asking you the same question. She turned and walked away.

After freshman year, I didn't see her again, until the last weekend of senior year. By then, I was with my future Mrs. S., and we were in a bar when I saw Red. She was watching me for the longest time, as I was with Mrs S., then she toasted me with her beer bottle. And that was the last time I saw her.

I often wonder what would have happened if I'd have gone up to her, how life may,or may not have been different. I still think of her, I guess, because it was the first time that I think a girl had actually found me attractive.

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

A good old friend of mine died earlier this week. Knowing what I know now, I think I would have wished to have been more kind to her at a particular moment. That would be nice.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The movie was kinda clever, though the guy in the movie had an advantage in that he could also go back and undo the changes.

I'm guessing we're going to see a lot of talk about the ones that got away, as we already have. Or at least the one we wish we had sealed the deal with. I can think if a couple of opportunities that I would love to go back handle better, but honestly, I wouldn't want to do anything that would take me off the course that led me to Mrs. OOP. The latter of the two opportunities was with somebody that the relationship had real potential and it was only about a year before I met my wife. I have to think it would have at least lasted long enough to keep me from meeting the woman I married, the mother of my child. No way I would want to do that.

I'll have to think on this more, but that is a long-winded way of saying I wouldn't change a thing.

7. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I should have married the first nymphomaniac that I met, instead of the second.

8. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

It's easy to say insignificant moments that would have been one and done, but most people would want to change major mistakes or things that didn't work out the way they planned. I wouldn't do that because it would totally re-write history, and I wouldn't be where I am today. Sure, from a retrospective point of view, I wish I hadn't chosen a particular set of orders for a duty station when I was in the Navy; I wish I hadn't married my first wife; I wish I had listened to people and not gone into the newspaper business; I wish I had started teaching 20 years before I did.

If I hadn't/had done all those things in exactly that order, I wouldn't have the life I do today. My wife, my circle of friends, the home and life I've built is all predicated on those things happening. I wouldn't change my life for anything - except maybe lucking into enough cash to retire today.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I agree with SJ.

10. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Considering how many times I've fucked up my life, it's pretty astonishing and worthy of humblebrag that I don't regret a single, goddamn thing.

I have everything I could want in life and, because of those past fuckups, I am able to fully appreciate it.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Love both of these. Good for both of you.

My feelings are very similar. Would I have gone long coffee, and made a ton of money, instead of going broke? Sure, but then I don't end up here, with the life I have, and the wife I love.

No regrets.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Probably would go back to the night on which the man and woman who fucked to conceive me to tell them not to fuck, as to save a whole lot of time, energy and trouble 9 months later and beyond.

Draft saved Draft deleted