1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If you could start again, what would you major in?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, May 16, 2012.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Just think how different your life would have been.

You could be divorced from two doctors by now.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

Public administration.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

wait, wait, wait. i HAVE been gone for a long time.
    since when did you feel sorry for being an asshole? ; P

4. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Depending on the day you ask, law school, accounting or truck driving school.

6. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

I think I'd figure out a career path where I could work on my own more. I'm not a horrible writer, but I really don't have the social skills to ever be anything more than a menial reporter at smaller newspapers. I was a talented and interested history student, but the job prospects for a history major scared me more than even the newspaper industry.

7. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

FYI, Law school is fool's gold.

8. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

If I had a second chance, I'd go into the military as soon as I could, learn a trade there and go to college to build on that when I got out. In fact, I wish more people would do anything but go to college for a few years after high school.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I thought about phys ed, but it seems like an awful lot of phys ed majors out there right now for not many jobs.

Speech therapy would have been a good field, although I'm terrible in the sciences. When my kids were young, we had a county-paid speech therapist come to the house and work with them. We later got copies of the bills that the county sent to our insurance. The therapist was getting paid $85 an hour.

I looked to my wife, and said that I was in the wrong business. Come to homes, play with kids, get them to say some sounds, and cash in big bucks.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I would have gotten a double major in a math field, probably statistics or something related instead of math itself. (But not engineering. I can barely put up a Christmas tree stand.) I was always very good at math and never really got to the point of "boy I don't understand this at all," it was more like I got to the point of "eh, that looks like a lot of work for something that I'm never going to use in real life." But as I was looking at other career fields, it was pretty clear that a math degree and some writing skill would be a knockout combo.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

You'd have the patter part, down pat.

12. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

history or PR, though I majored in English and a lot of ex-journos I know are in PR with an English, Journalism or Broadcasting degree.
    History only because I took a few of those classes and enjoyed those more than most of my English classes. I just love that stuff and most of the books I own now are history books.
    Mostly though I majored in drinking and socializing and if I had a time machine and could go back, I would still spend the college years with a beer in my hand

Draft saved Draft deleted