1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If you could start again, what would you major in?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, May 16, 2012.

1. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I would keep my English major if I stayed in the Humanities but I wished I had the discipline to have grinded thru a Science degree with the eventual goal of getting into a Veterinary program.

I have a great relationship with my dog's vet and he told me he got into it because he likes people and animals, as the clinic part owner he also only works 1 day a week.

The other thing I wished I had done was learn a trade, probably something like HVAC so that I could have my own business.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I'd not blow out my ACL and suffer third-degree burns on 20-percent of my body. That way West Point wouldn't have declined application. I'd be retired by now.

Barring that, I wouldn't have wasted two years on Accounting/Business Law double major before switching to English/Journalism. And I'd gone ahead and gotten my PhD in American Literature when I finished my Masters.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The thing with me is that I consider the personal enrichment part of it as important as the trade school part. That's why I'd always double major. Last time it was journalism and English. I added the English major because I did think the journalism major was too trade school-y for this one four-year chance in my life I had to simply learn for the sake of learning.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Cartography.

Honestly, education, then I would have 22 years already vested instead of 12.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

Not double-majoring when I had the opportunity is probably what I regret most. My journalism degree has honestly served me pretty well, even though I have fled journalism itself.

6. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

I would keep the journalism major. If I hadn't done journalism it would be something I would have always wondered about and regretted not trying. But instead of having history be my 2nd major, I would have explored something in the business school - accounting or finance etc. just to have something useful to fall back on.

7. JosephC.Myers

JosephC.Myers Active Member

I guess I'm going to be the lone exception to the rule on this one. My degree is in Mass Communications (Broadcast Journalism) because I thought I wanted to be on ESPN for a living (Imagine that! HA!). Anyways, right out of college, I got a job at my hometown paper stringing, loved it and the rest was history.
    I always wanted to do something sports-related, but if I had to change, maybe education and a certain subject so I could teach and coach (English, History or Science would've been good) or perhaps something to where I could've been an athletic trainer. Interesting question though.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think about that a lot too... I have two friends from high school who are Lieutenant Colonels in the Air Force now and can retire in just a few more years. My whole family is military, but I wanted no part of that coming out of high school.

There's a lot to be said about having a job where you never have to worry about losing your job. Granted, both of them have been deployed a couple times and I don't think I could handle being away from my kids for six months to a year at a time.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I couldn't even imagine it. I'm getting home tonight after mine go to bed - one day the entire week - and it's tough on me.

10. Mizzougrad96

My "What the fuck was I thinking?" moment came when I found out that because I had a journalism degree and a masters in journalism that I couldn't be a substitute teacher, because in the state where I live you can't have what they consider to be a specialized degree. I met another person who was similarly turned down because he had an Engineering degree. I was eligible to be a college professor, but I couldn't work as a sub at the local high school.

11. Mizzougrad96

I'm kind of the same way. I don't like to miss anything.

12. kickoff-time

kickoff-time Well-Known Member

not being taken advantage of so easily and so often

Draft saved Draft deleted