1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If you could start again, what would you major in?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, May 16, 2012.

1. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Not in the tourist town I live in.

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I actually think about this once in a while. I'd probably go economics and history as majors, then to law school.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Can you be pre-med, but not major in a science? (i.e. just take the prerequisites?)

Because, in that case, philosophy and economics would be a really great double major.

4. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Criminal justice. I started off majoring in that, and my dad talked me out of it. One of the few times I wish I HADN'T listened to my parents.

5. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

If I had it to do all over again, I'd double major in education and a different humanities discipline, most likely political science or history.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I have to clean this one up again, I'm going to clean out - sorry to be an asshole but no time for b.s. today.

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Damn good thread topic.

Part of me wishes I'd gone to Sewanee undergrad then to a Yale-type law school, then gotten into politics.

Part of me wishes I'd gone into computer graphics and design. I always enjoyed layout when I worked in newspapers, and I should have taken that interest into the 21st Century, via video.

But maybe the biggest part of me wishes I'd followed my science interest, the advice of a professor I really enjoyed, and gotten a post-grad Geology degree, where I could be spending my time traipsing around the great outdoors all over the planet, working in some eco industry.

Woulda, coulda, shoulda. Maybe it's just my age, but I think about this stuff more often than I should!

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I'd hope an ex-journalist has what it takes to become a mixologist, not a bartender.

[/crossthread]

9. Dick Whitman

Right, that's what I'm saying. Can you major in a non-science subject and still get into medical school by taking all the pre-reqs?

10. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

"Primitive cultures."

No, seriously, I'm fine with my major, but I wish I had taken more history classes.

11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Like cran, I've thought about this a great deal.

I think I probably would have majored in business or management, and then gotten myself enough restaurant acumen so that I could run my own restaurant at a fairly young age.

I also understand that I'm idealistic about it, in that in my mind, I'd never cut corners, only use the best ingredients, etc. If reality set in and I'd come to see you can't make money that way, I probably wouldn't be so hot on the idea.

In other words, I'd love to own an Italian pizzeria/restaurant, but only if it was one that would blow your socks off.

12. Dick Whitman

I find that philosophy and economics majors are the most articulate, deep-thinking people I meet. I think that if you have post-graduate academic plans, being a philosophy major really prepares you for the kind of thinking about all angles that you'll have to do.

Plus, from a sheer personal enrichment standpoint, I think that it's important to tackle the big questions, along with how our understanding of them has developed through human history. Sometimes, I'll be reading the NYT or some baseball box scores, digesting the minutia of the day, and think, "Who gives a shit who the governor of Ohio is right now? Here today, gone tomorrow. I'd be better served reading Bentham."

Draft saved Draft deleted