1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If you could start again, what would you major in?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, May 16, 2012.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Was having this discussion with a journalism friend of mine the other day. We've talked about this on other threads, but never had a dedicated thread for it.

It'd be a tough decision for me. On one hand, I think that a hard science like pre-med or engineering would ensure a great future - and really train me to contribute to the world in a very tangible way. On the other hand, I love the humanities, too.

I'd probably go:

Major 1: Biology/Pre-med
    Major 2: Philosophy (Runner-up: Economics).
    Extracurricular: Student newspaper
    Hobby: Reading the classics (in lieu of an English major, which I was the first time around and certainly did enjoy.)

At that point - actually probably somewhere around junior year - I'd have to decide whether to go into medicine, law, sports management, or journalism.

2. I spent two years in electrical engineering before switching to journalism. I've thought about going back and finishing up my engineering degree. Would take me about two years, but at this point, I'd have to spend a few months refreshing myself on some of the math courses to get back up to speed.

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Accounting

4. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Probably theater if I went to college at all.

5. Dick Whitman

As a side note, I'm always interested in finding out what my kids end up being interested in - and how much influence I will or should have over their academic and career pursuits.

My mom constantly talked shit about math and science and lionized literature and writing. I didn't go into writing to consciously please my parents, but I think that parents can inadvertently have a huge influence on that just by how they talk about or react to success in different fields.

6. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

I majored in psychology. I see no reason to change that. I might consider a different sort of school/department, one with more of a counseling focus.

I still think a journalist can "contribute to the world in a very tangible way." It's just different from how those in the hard sciences do.

7. Dick Whitman

For sure. I was thinking in terms of technology or medicine research.

Journalists certainly make a difference, but just from the perspective of an outsider exerting pressure as opposed to an insider.

8. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

I'd drop out and become a bartender. Unlike newspapers, alcohol will never go out of style.

9. Dick Whitman

No, but when the economy suffers, people drink at home instead.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

My kids are both young, but neither of them has any idea I was a writer. I don't have any articles framed. All my journalism awards are in a box in the basement. I don't want them under any circumstances to go down that road...

If I could do it again, I would probably go into corporate security/PR. One of my best friends does it and pretty heavily recruited me to join him after my journalism career ended. He tells me all kinds of stories and he just loves it. I can't move though, and I'm fine with that...

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

"Take it easy, I'm in pre-law, man."

"Thought you were pre-med?"

"What's the difference?"

[​IMG]

12. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

I don't see the direct correlations between one's college major and future profession.

I chose psychology because it had the fewest requirements of any major in Arts & Sciences. I took classes that seemed interesting, subjects that I (mainly) enjoyed learning.

Journalism was a fun extracurricular activity which has turned into my career.

Education isn't destiny. A lack thereof, however...

Draft saved Draft deleted