1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If you could go back in time...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MankyJimy, Sep 6, 2012.

1. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

That would be it for me too, first thing that popped to mind.

2. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

seconded

3. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

Babe Ruth 1932 World Series. Imagine the lucky ones who were close enough to hear the Cub bench and Babe trading insults. Then his last words just before hitting that bomb...........raising one finger and telling the Cub bench... "It only takes one" backed up by one who should know, Cub catcher Gabby Hartnett.

Doesn't matter if he did or did not point, those that were there knew what was taking place, Cub bench calling him fat and washed up, he has the last words and then answers with his bat hitting a ball almost to the intersection of Sheffield and Waveland Avenues.

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Maybe I'm crazy but I would like to have been able to say I sat through this one:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/bullpen/Longest_game_in_Organized_Baseball_history#Line_and_Box_Score

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

A few come to mind, most of which can be cited with a single name:
    • Ray Chapman
    • Babe Ruth's called shot
    • Jackie Robinson's debut
    • Bobby Thomson
    • Bill Mazeroski
    • Harvey Haddix
    • Bucky Dent
    • Jack Morris vs. John Smoltz

But for pure curiosity's sake, I'd like to see Joe Williams and Satchel Paige face off.

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

JR was at this game:

http://www.torontoplaques.com/Pages_ABC/Babe_Ruth_at_Hanlans_Point.html

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Poor Dallas Williams must still be mumbling to himself.

And there's this funny story out there about one of the pitchers arrived home at 5 a.m. or so to find his wife angry that he stayed out all night and accused him of cheating on her. She wouldn't believe him that the game wasn't stopped until 4 a.m.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Hell, I might go back to the 1985 World Series and watch Game 6 and 7 again.

Go Royals!

9. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

1969 World Series, Game 5.

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

October 1, 1932 - Ruth's called shot
    September 28, 1955 - Jackie steals? home
    October 18, 1977 - Reggie's 3 HRs

11. http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/boxscore?gameId=270628118

Was at this game, but I'd love to relive it in person.

Funny/sad story: My sister and I each bought tickets to the last three games of that Rockies series because we wanted to see the hit. But the day of, I get a weird gut feeling and buy two tickets (in separate sections) for the first game that night. Why? Because "If he went off in his first game back and got to 3,000 I'd never be able to live it down." My sister passed, so a friend of mine from high school went with me.

That game had it all: The 3000th hit of my favorite player, a (starting) pitchers duel, back-and-forth in the late innings and, oh yes, a walk-off grand slam by Carlos Lee. Winning that game made Carlos Lee a never truly hateable commodity to me, even in the dying years of that contract.

12. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I'll go a different way...the best game I actually attended. 15-year-old Big Circus caught this one on a high-school field trip. Chris Hoiles won the game with a walk-off grand slam. SI named it the best game of the first half of the season.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/BAL/BAL199605170.shtml

Draft saved Draft deleted