1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If you could cover a non-sports beat ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dick Whitman, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Speaking of crime and courts.....

While working sports desk, got a call one Sunday night (all outside lines rang at my desk on weekends) from a lady who was going nuts over the fact her name was listed in a story as being arrested. I quickly found the story and it was a routine police story where the reporter named 5-6 people straight off the police report.

Woman on the phone swears she didn't do it and I informed her she would have her day in court and no one claimed she was guilty (or even formally charged at that stage). Woman cries and moans about how she'll lose her job, custody of her kids, and whatever.... all because our reporter actually copied her name off a routine police report and never talked to her. I tried to explain that reporter was doing standard procedure and it would be impossible for her to call every single person listed to get their side of the story and that we would monitor the case as it developed and contact her if events warranted. Finally, I agreed to let her leave a voice mail for said reporter.

Gosh, I've had it dealing with whnining sports parents. I hope the crime and courts reporter isn't getting these calls on a daily basis. I'd probably go postal on someone.

2. GidalKaiser

GidalKaiser Member

Entertainment, TV/movie critic.

3. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Television.

4. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

No shit?

5. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

The military.

As one who served, I think I'd have a unique perspective on that beat. And I've always had an interest in it. There'd be plenty of good stories to write.

6. Provided you get clearance to write them.

7. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

I covered the military for the better part of 12 years. Loved every minute of it.
    OK, yeah, it's their ball and if they want to take it and go home, they can. But most of the folks I dealt with were super and as long as you were straight with them they took care of you.
    I can't begin to count the number of soldiers I've talked to over the years or the family members left behind by deployed soldiers — and also of the guys who didn't make it back.
    I told somebody who got the military beat at a competing paper that you may never do anything as enjoyable or meaningful in your career as this. If they ask you if you want to cover something, to go out in the field with the troops, do it. Even if your paper doesn't want a story just do it to build the relationships and see what these guys really do.
    I miss it. A lot. I couldn't give a flying fuckall for celebrity gossip bullshit news. I've covered cops and courts and politics and local government and education, to an extent, and all the other fun stuff.
    Fuck it. Maybe they've got an embed spot open for Afghanistan. I'm game.

8. awriter

awriter Active Member

I think travel writing would be fun, if not very newsy.

9. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Would love to do the 20 Questions beat for Playboy. Great interviews and some nice perks I'm sure.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I wonder if Mizzou will say movies?

Draft saved Draft deleted