1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If you could be a professional athlete......

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mark2010, Aug 9, 2013.

1. Hey Diaz!

Hey Diaz! Member

A marginal NBA center from about 1996 on. Get paid tens of millions to be tall ... and that's about it.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I am so fucking predictable: NHL goalie.

Was a totally mediocre goalie in university but nothing got my adrenaline going more than a guy coming in on a breakaway. They usually scored.

Goalies get style points for getting the puck out of the net.

You can either shoot it up to centre with disdain or just skate away and let one of the linesmen dig it out himself

I still think it's the toughest position in any sport.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Looking at the list of kickers from 2012, a typical one might be like Jay Feely (12 seasons with 5 teams), Matt Bryant (11 seasons, four teams plus one game with Indy) or Shayne Graham (12 seasons, five teams plus one-game stints with the Giants and Ravens and a 2-game stint with Miami). While the nomadic aspect would be tough, I'd be pretty happy with a career that long with good money.

Even so, there also seems to be some more stability than what you would think. I counted 12 out of the top 30 in 2012 FGs made that had been kicking with their teams for at least 2007 or earlier (Tynes, Hanson, Janikowski, Gostowski, Dawson, Prater, Vinatieri, Bironas, Scobee, Crosby, Lindell, Gould).

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Bryant Reeves says "Hey."

5. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

If I could be a professional athlete.... I'd like to have a bigger dick, no make that the biggest dick in the league. I would parade it around the locker room. The ladies would gasp.

But alas, I am a little peon.

6. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

NASCAR driver. I've done four driving experiences at NASCAR tracks (Homestead, Charlotte, Talladega and Martinsville ) and I'm hooked.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Not much job security. You either move up or move out pretty quickly.

8. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Bullpen catcher.
    Do fuck-all,
    make a little bit,
    Travel the country.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I suppose anyone who has burned it at 100MPH on the interstate has had that aspiration.

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Most lucrative over the length of a career?
    Hottest-willing women ?
    Hottest wives?
    Best locations to compete?

11. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I got a minivan to 110+ mph across a New Mexican desert once, and it was pretty thrilling until I felt like it might go airborne coming out of a dip.

12. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Professional golfer. And, to answer an earlier question, professional golfers (typically) love to play golf just as much as the next guy. Playing golf and playing seriously competitive golf are two very different things.

Draft saved Draft deleted