1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If you could be a professional athlete......

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mark2010, Aug 9, 2013.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

in any sport, what would you choose? And why?

For me, it would have to be golf. Not only is it fun to play when you are playing well, but I like the freedom to set my own schedule, pick my own uniform and not have a teammate or coach's issues affect me so directly.

Plus, there's no physical contact and careers can last longer than in just about any other sport.

What would be your preference?

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I grew up wanting to be quarterback of the Rams and pitcher for the Dodgers and center of a Triple Crown line and point guard for the Lakers and psychotic like John McEnroe and ...

If I had to choose one it would be pitcher with an elbow and shoulder that allowed me to flourish in the majors for 12-15 years. Always wanted to be the guy with the ball in his hand, bearing down on the guy with the bat. You feel a lot of power standing on the mound. I'll throw the ball, motherfucker, let's see if you can hit it.

On a lark I went to a Reds open tryout in East Vermont in '99. Just turned 28. First time I'd been on a mound in 16 or 17 years and despite having a little too much fun the night before and barely warming up leading to my turn on the Windsor High mound that day, none of the 6 college-aged batters I faced scored. But the scouts had seen enough and my pro aspirations ended that day.

But I had a good time.

On the drive back to Brattleboro I thought a lot about why I never pursued baseball after Little League.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

HOF player on a great Yankee team.

Jeter, Mantle, DiMaggio, Ruth... They didn't seem to suffer to much.

4. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Without question: a pro wrestler manager in the late 1980s.
    Talk smack, act like a clown and barely take a hit. All the drugs, all the babes, not much abuse.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

If I'm elite, then soccer. Play for a top European club and the USMNT.

Barely there? MLB catcher. And once I get cut, I'd be a bullpen catcher for a few more years.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

An NFL punter would be a good gig. Just hit your punts well, make good money, and only have to worry about making 2-3 tackles a year. There's not even the pressure of the game-winning kick to worry about, unlike the kicker.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

A Left-handed One Out Guy.

8. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

send me to the EPL or maybe la Liga. A roster spot practically comes with a Bughatti Veyron and a horde of bimbos

my dad always used to say he would want to be a third-string NFL quarterback (back when teams carried three QBs). You get into a few preseason games, then spend the rest of the fall on the sideline with a clipboard, not taking a single hit but still getting paid and still getting a ring if the team wins.

9. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

PBA, baby! Well, maybe if I didn't have such a bad back. I would rule the ESPN airwaves on Sunday mornings! I'm coming for you, PDW!

10. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I always thought of this question in terms of the Big Four team sports (NBA, MLB, NFL and NHL). I could really see enjoying the PGA Tour, though, as Mark points out in the OP. The money sure is great for the top 60 or so players on the Tour.

But, remaining true to my original thoughts, I was a better baseball player than football or basketball (being only 5-7, after all). Never was on skates as a kid, but I think the game of hockey just looks like the most fun to play. The skills with stick-handling, passing and shooting are all as fun as in the other sports, and then you add in the speed of the skating.

11. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Back before it turned to the crap it is today: NASCAR. Although as a kid, I didn't really classify the drivers as "professional athletes" because they were so much more than that. In my young mind, Pearson, Petty, Allison, Waltrip, and a young Earnhardt were like mythical knights who resided somewhere near Mount Olympus.

As for being on the PGA Tour, I've always thought that would be great, too, and the same goes for being a pro angler. I've always wondered, though, do they still enjoy playing/fishing. For us, playing golf/fishing is fun and something you do on your day off from work. If you have to play/practice 5-6 days a week and your paycheck depends on it, do you still take pleasure in playing? I bet they certainly don't play golf or go fishing on their days off!

12. X-Hack

X-Hack Active Member

If I'm elite level: striker for Barca, Chelsea or AC Milan. No explanation necessary. Possibly an F1 driver for similar reasons except the getting killed thing is a downside.

If I'm marginal: MLB backup catcher. Play 20 years with less pressure or wear and tear. Make very good money (at least the equivalent of a biglaw partner), enjoy all the perks plus anonymity and eventually settle into an easy sinecure as a bullpen coach

Draft saved Draft deleted