1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If you blame Miami for the brawl, you're a racist bigot!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Pringle, Oct 17, 2006.

1. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Michelle Kaufmann joins the UM apology chorus weighs in ...

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/colleges/university_of_miami/15793278.htm

Uh, Michelle, guess what? The past does matter. Just because fuckups always say, "I want to put the past behind me'' doesn't mean they get to make the rules.

Nobody's jumping up and down on South Carolina because it's not forever getting involved in these things. Oh, and guess what, Michelle? South Carolina and Clemson both pulled themselves out of a bowl game after their fight.

Pathetic.

2. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

She and her husband are two of my favorite writers. I knew she'd get slammed here for her take, and I'm not saying I agree or disagree, but I hope she makes one of her rare appearances here to discuss the genesis of the column. There had to be some discussion in the office about disclosing the fact that she is a Miami graduate (which she did).

I'm not saying she needs to show up and defend the column, but I'd be curious to hear her discuss the evolution of the column.

3. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

A more sane take, from someone I consider one of the most underrated columnists in the country ...

http://www.newsday.com/sports/college/ny-sppow194939211oct19,0,2107526.column?coll=ny-collegesports-headlines

4. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

We agree on that Hondo.....thats what I meant

5. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Thugs: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/football/ncaa/10/19/dartmouth.apology.ap/index.html?eref=si_topstories

That's what I'm talking about! You don't come into Memorial Field talking trash!

6. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

7. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Thanks for bringing my favorite lil' kid back, Chuck.

He rules.

8. XXXX

XXXX Member

for once i completely agree with you, columbo. hell hath frozen over!

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I'm enthralled by the little kid too, Chuck. Stare at him long enough and you either start waiting for him to pass out from a lack of oxygen, or feel bad for him because he's stuck in this endless loop for our enjoyment. :D

10. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

What is it about Miami? Last night the UNC coach suspended one of his starters for making obscene gestures at the Virginia crowd in pregame, and this dude, indeed, was from Miami.
    Since a good percentage of the U-M squad is from the Miami area (and a larger percentage of FIU), it's got to be something in the environment that compels these guys to play gangsta 24-7.
    BTW, on several political blogs I post on, I've thrown around the word "thug" to describe some white politicians (of both parties).

11. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

William Rhoden was on NPR today, complaining how the Dartmouth-Holy Cross brawl didn't get as much attention as Miami's fight. He was suggesting it had to do with the fact that one fight played into sterotypes. Errr, no. One fight happened during a TV game involving one of the highest profile college teams in the U.S. The other fight wasn't televised and it involved an Ivy League team.

12. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Sorry, Bill.... If Anthony Reddick was throwing protractors at FIU players, it would have been laughed off, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted