1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If you blame Miami for the brawl, you're a racist bigot!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Pringle, Oct 17, 2006.

1. You may feel free to piss off now.

2. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

The implication was obvious. Comparing UM's image problems to the plight of the black man? C'mon. Just because he didn't use the word racism doesn't mean the message wasn't clear.

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

He's right. We're too quick to judge the U based on Jeremy Shockey. We ought to reflect on this.

4. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Did I just hear that Donna Shalala shook her fist for emphasis at the news conference where she announced a zero-tolerance policy for players who get in fights? That's a great photo if someone shot it.

5. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

The lasting image is of Reddick whipping the helmet multiple times.

Yes, that sort of lack of control makes you thuggish.

6. XXXX

XXXX Member

MIAMI HAS A PRECONCEIVED NOTION OF BEING THUGS BECAUSE THEY HAVE BEEN THUGS FOR 25 YEARS. ARE YOU FRIGGIN KIDDING ME? IM A RACIST BECAUSE I THINK PEOPLE STOMPING ON OTHER PEOPLE AND SWINGING HELMETS AT EACH OTHER SHOULD BE SUSPENDED FOR MORE THAN ONE GAME????? RIDICULOUS! I AM ENTIRELY SICK OF AFRICAN AMERICAN WRITERS AND TV PERSONALITY CONSISTENTLY BRINGING RACE INTO THE EQUATION. IM SICK OF IT. WRITE ABOUT A DIFFERENT TOPIC. STOP TELLING ME I AM A RACIST BECAUSE I THINK A PLAYER WHO HAPPENS TO BE BLACK SHOULD BE SUSPENDED. IF THE SAME SITUATION HAPPENED AT BYU I THINK THEY SHOULD BE SUSPENDED FOR THE REST OF THE SEASON.

7. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

STOP YELLING AT ME, DAMMIT!!!!

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

It looks like a Bandwagon Boy disciple took a wrong turn.

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Wow. I never knew the entire country hated Miami until that blog. Hmmm. Whattaya know.

10. standman

standman Member

Black writers are often put in a no win situation when it comes to race. The writer is generally remembered for the one or two times he writes about race and then is criticized for bringing race into the equation. If the writer doesn't write about race (when it has significance) he is considered a sellout.

Chances are our society has become so politically correct that a white writer feels better off not mentioning race or is afraid of being called out for writing about it (from the what do you know about being black, hispanic, asian, eskimo, whatever sect). The writer may be ignorant about the racial significance of a situation.

Omar is just offering a different perspective. Not saying he's right or wrong. The fight was stupid and many of the participants were just looking for a free cheap shot. That's my opinion.

11. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

I agree with you to a point. There are a lot of black columnists who are criticized for only writing about race when in fact they tackle as wide a variety of subjects as anyone else, it's just that their columns about race are the ones that get the most notice.

I'm all for Kelly offering a different perspective, but he offers nothing to back it up. He just says we're wrong to look at the brawl and draw the conclusion that UM has a lot of thugs. He doesn't say why we're wrong, just that we're wrong. Apparently we're supposed to ignore the criminal activity that took place the other night and just take his word that the Hurricanes are nice guys. That's not offering a different perspective, that's being an apologist.

12. Sportsbruh

Sportsbruh Member

I agree with Lamar, FIU got what it deserved - A WELL WHIPPED ASS - for trying to play gangsta.

But you know.

These types of BEATDOWNS happen once a year and everybody secretly loves it.....Except if it happens at the U.

Draft saved Draft deleted