1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If you blame Miami for the brawl, you're a racist bigot!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Pringle, Oct 17, 2006.

1. busuncle

busuncle Member

I do think the reaction to this fight, which I rather enjoyed watching, has been ridiculously over-the-top.

Some people wouldn't be happy unless Miami forfeited the game and fired Coker immediately (actually, I think someone did write that).

No one got hurt. Fans and television viewers got a little more enjoyment out of an otherwise boring and meaningless game. The Republic will survive.

2. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

But the analogy would only work if Miami did nothing in the brawl and still got blamed because they're Miami.

Just because they didn't throw the first punch or stomp the first leg shouldn't exonerate them.

3. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

No, the analogy works because people are prepared to accept Miami's role in the brawl as a reinforcement of their prejudices. That's what the author is saying. Whether or not Miami is actually a group of thugs is another matter entirely.

I'm not trying to exonerate anybody. I just object to the title of the thread because it misrepresents the message of the blog.

4. Freelance Hack

People are willing to accept Miami's role because there is video footage of Miami players swinging helmets, stomping on and kicking players and then celebrating "winning" the fight.

Those aren't prejudices. Those are facts.

5. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Never mind. I'm not even talking about the fight. I'm talking about the thread title and the blog.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

He'd be a better hire than who they're going after... Of course, so would the guy answering the prep phones for us...

7. Freelance Hack

I'm tal;king about the blog, too.

What other facts were out there that the public didn't review before they "showed some prejudice?"

Please enlighten me.

8. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I am not arguing that Omar Kelly is right. I'm arguing that he didn't cry racism.

9. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

Are they seriously going after "Baby Momma"?

10. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

Come on. The dots are pretty easy to connect there.

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

JR and Fenian's Batphones must be disconnected. A thread about racism has been up for an hour, and they haven't been here to pontificate.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Oh, I save them for you and Hondo's daily anti-Muslim rants.
    Dimwit.

Draft saved Draft deleted