1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If you’re a 30-something making minimum wage.. you have failed at life.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Sep 5, 2014.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Steyn, Erickson, the especially brilliant Chuck Johnson with his huge scoop that Michael Brown likes the "weather."

You won't see bullshit like that on CNN and the rest of the lame streamers.

They all peddle the same level of hot takez that would make Stephen A. Smith embarassed.

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Any laws against paying you absolutely zero?

3. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

You can make more money and still be a failure.

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Professional, published troll is still a troll.

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Great. That means there will be better jobs developing and marketing and installing and repairing technology even if the hardware is built in China. I'm all for progress and efficient markets. And if you have to pay more for a technician, I'm all for that, too.

6. cranberry

She would no longer be your boss in that case.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

This is fine, but the folks currently working at McDonalds are unlikely to get these jobs.

As an aside, do the entrance/exit gates/machines at automated parking lots seem to break down about once a week? I swear, I see them out of order all the time. Fixing those could be a reliable job in a big city.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

How do they get fixed now? Is nobody doing that job?

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Sure. But, I work on the theory that I can win that business.

I'd say it's a growing field, but then I don't see to many people actually working at the exit anymore, so maybe it's maxed out.

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I'll have to find it later, but the NYT editorial supporting a $15/hour minimum wage was an embarrassment. I don't know how else to say it.

A $15/hour minimum wage would be disastrous for fast-food workers, or almost anyone else. It will cause job loss on a wide scale - job losses that would never come back.

11. cranberry

As an aside, I'm not a big fan of the touch-screen restaurants in the Delta terminals at LaGuardia and Kennedy airports in terms of customer service. Very impersonal.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

So did my mom. She did some retail jobs after high school, worked her way up to be a bookkeeper. Then she met my dad, got married and moved in with him 100 miles away, so she had to quit the bookkeeping job. Her boss actually offered to pay for her commuting costs because he loved having her work for him, but it would have taken a couple of hours of a commute each way, so she had to quit.

She went back to retail, gave birth to me, spent time working on a hospital cleaning staff, and had one bookkeeping job that was an absolute nightmare because her boss made George Steinbrenner look like a saint, eventually got back into retail and did some home health care work. Then she moved into human resources at one retail job and was doing fine until she had to take a year off for cancer treatment. Then she came back, and the HR job was gone, so she was put back in retail.

I guess my mom is a failure because she married my dad, had me, got fired by Satan and got cancer. Yep.

Draft saved Draft deleted