1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If you’re a 30-something making minimum wage.. you have failed at life.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Sep 5, 2014.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

And that blanket statement would also be wrong.

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

That was Mark Steyn.

Erickson's child-molestation accusation was directed at Justice David Souter, whom he also accused of fucking goats.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I don't honestly see a lot of minimum-wage earners blaming other people for the fact that they have minimum-wage jobs. I assume, however, there are many among them who consider themselves underemployed and aspire to better jobs. For example, I know a lot of people here in NYC who call themselves actors but who are only employed as waiters and bartenders. They get a little bitchy. Is that what you're getting at?

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

To any 30something making minimum wage, I would ask just a couple of questions.

--- What skills (computer, trade, etc.) have you aggressively tried to acquire over the past few years during your hours away from your job?

--- Having (I assume) acquired some, how aggressively have you pursued employment related to these skills?

--- (If the answer to the first two questions was "basically none") . . . What is your plan for the remainder of your working years?

The answer to those questions should pretty much narrow down whether someone is shiftless or lazy or a loser or just the unluckiest SOB to walk down the pike.

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

OK, a fair point. I'll rephrase to more closely represent what I was getting at:

An "other side" version of this ...

"If you're a 30-something struggling to live the life you want on the wages you can command in the place you live, someone else is to blame."

6. Dick Whitman

The answers in many/most cases:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Can you give me an example of this blaming that is apparently going on? Who exactly are they blaming? That's the part I don't quite understand.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That's because you don't listen to the right people, cran!

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

LOL.

This response is awesome. It makes me miss Devil a little less.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yeah, but isn't that a choice too?

Lots of those people are bright, and have college degrees. They almost certainly have engaging personalities.

They could be better employed in another field if they chose to, but are "pursuing the dream". That's great, and I wish them well, but I'm not broken up over their current low pay.

11. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Where do you find time for the non-negotiable daily treadmill hour?

12. Dick Whitman

Welcome back.

Draft saved Draft deleted