1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If we're the benchmark, they're in trouble...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by slappy4428, Jul 15, 2009.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I think the politics board is fine... Of course, all I ever see there are "you have blocked this user"....

Makes things nice and tidy...

2. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

I checked, Moddy ... sportsjournalist.com is a parked site. They must mean us after all!! :D

3. KP

KP Active Member

Boots and his lady friend

4. Jim Knight

Jim Knight New Member

Hey, all. Figured it was time to sign up here since I'm back in the sports world with AnnArbor.com.

We didn't so much look at the witty banter in the threads at sportsjournalists.com as we did at the posting guidelines. We want a site where readers feel they can comment on stories without feeling they either are going to come under attack or have their view buried under a string of off-topic posts.

It's going to require moderation and a lot of time. It's an interesting challenge, especially in sports.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Jim - welcome.
    It is an interesting challenge on every level. Obviously, things are a little more loose around here. The line isn't the same but there's always that question. Is it on the wrong side?

My old paper used to have someone approve before a comment went up. Well, who has time for that in a very thin newsroom? So comments go up and someone can report them if they like. They've shut down commenting (our version of a lock), they've removed posts (our version of a delete). And they've seen some awful stuff fall through the cracks because no one reported it or it hit at a time when no one could take a minute to go look.

It's risky. Like I said, commenting is what we do here. On a newspaper site? You are taking your chances.

Good luck and welcome back to sports.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Good luck with that the first time a Sparty posts...

7. Jim Knight

Jim Knight New Member

Thanks, Moddy. It's good to be back in sports ... and a little luck can't hurt. I'm sure we'll learn a lot in the first six months or so.

Draft saved Draft deleted