1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If we could get one famous person back, who would it be?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by DanOregon, Jun 30, 2009.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The Pittsburgh native in me hates seeing Heinz lumped in with Bono. I'm not sure how many people outside of Western PA even know much about him, but I would have loved to see how far his career would have gone.

Poor Theresa. From that guy to John Kerry.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Boom beat me to it, but I would have liked to see how the Babe would have done in baseball today.

Then again, we all probably would get sick of him because ESPN would televise his every at-bat.

3. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

If Babe Ruth came back from the dead, I would think some other channels might cover it pretty heavily as well.

4. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Third on Buddy Holly. Aside from his prolific, short career, he was a revolutionary in that he produced his own stuff, overdubbed his stuff, and was ahead of his time creatively and technologically. Given the choice of a musician, I'd take Holly over Hendrix.

Steve Prefontaine. Had he not taken that fateful drive in May 1975, he would have done some damage in Montreal in 1976, seethed over the boycott in 1980, then come back with a gold medal-winning performance in LA in 1984. Then he would have taken Nike to -- oh yeah, Nike got there anyway. Still, had Prefontaine lasted beyond the mid-70s I don't think American distance running would have faded out the way it has. There would have been a (not the) Ryan Hall 10 years ago.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I'd go with Marilyn Monroe. Seriously. I have always been fascinated by the woman, and just seeing what became of her in your 40s, 50s and 60s would have been interesting.

Among serious people, I like the MLK sentiment, but if it isn't about the man and it is about the civil rights movement, he may have done more at that point in death, as a martyr, than he could have done if he had stayed alive. But who knows?

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Agreed.

7. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Alexander Hamilton

Jackie Robinson

Stephen J. Gould

8. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Would have loved having Russert around during the last election.

9. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Tupac
    Notorious B.I.G.

Well, they're both still alive.

I guess I'll go with JFK.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

good one but given the choice I would rather David Brinkley.

11. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

If I were going farther back into history, I'd want to bring Stephen Decatur, Jr. back.

He was the dashing lieutenant who led an expedition to burn the captured U.S. frigate Philadelphia during the First Barbary War. He was the judicious commodore who methodically defeated HMS Macedonian with USS United States, smartly using the latter's greater range to pound away at his enemy until he was all but beaten.

He later commanded U.S. forces during the Second Barbary War, bringing it to an end in a matter of weeks by using overwhelming force. He was cut down in a duel with a jealous fellow naval captain. He might have gone on to great, great things in the Navy had he lived.

12. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

She probably would still be performing, would have six little kids from Africa and her cooch would have seen more action than a thousand war veterans.

So, in other words, she'd be Madonna.

Draft saved Draft deleted