1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If we could get one famous person back, who would it be?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by DanOregon, Jun 30, 2009.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Bring them back now at the age they died or bring them back at the age they'd be now? Because JFK would be 92 and MLK would be 80 (and given the life expectancy of black men of his generation, probably not in very good health). And Lincoln would be 200 years old.

Just sayin' ...

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

You throw a fit when Michael Jackson isn't given proper respect, but then you go and post this?

I was starting to feel bad about some of my posts the other day. Those feelings have passed.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I'll take John Lennon or Buddy Holly.

And I read it more as, "who did you wish didn't die so young (or when they did)" rather than thinking that Lincoln is going to be transported to 2009.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

The fact that Bear Bryant hasn't been mentioned.....stunning. :)

5. EE94

EE94 Guest

I'll go with Jesus' dad

6. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Lincoln for the what would have happened impact in 1865 and beyond.

Buddy Holly is an interesting case. Would have definitely been interesting to see what his musical career might have been, considering he was already so prolific in just his few short years. And had he lived, how might that have impacted the musical landscape in the first half of the 1960s--would the Beatles have been such a new sensation or might someone else, influenced by Holly, have gotten there first?

As I've mentioned elsewhere, Keith Moon would be one I would have liked to see stick around. The guy was an instant party where ever he went, sure to create mischief and mayhem, and generate eye popping headlines. Plus, I think the direction of The Who might have turned out differently as well.

And similarly, John Bonham. Would have been intriguing to see Zeppelin have made its way into the 1980s.

7. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

add Duane Allman to that mix

8. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Good call by Cadet: RFK. Even if he hadn't gotten the nomination (and BTW, I think he would have - he was in the race for just 82 days, and he had started to sway the bosses from Humphrey) I think he shapes public opinion throughout the 70's and 80's on poverty, war and countless other issues. Another thing: if he's elected, there's no Nixon admin and less likely that Cheney, Rove and "rat fuckers" get their foot in the door. I'm biased, tho. A huge RFK fan.

9. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I think there is an argument that the impact of MLK's death might have been as great as the impact he could have achieved in an ongoing life.

10. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

This takes a lot of thought. I think I'm going to have to go with Lincoln.

He probably would have prevailed upon Congress to live up to his call for conducting Reconstruction "with malice toward none." I'm fairly certain it would have allowed the country to heal from the great divide of the Civil War more quickly.

I also would have thought about MLK, but I think his death made him more revered than he probably would have been had he not been shot dead. Had he lived, I think there might have been a divide between him and his call for non violent protest and the louder voices of the black community.

If I could change this to people in my own life whom I wish I could have back, my vote would be for my aunt. She died 10 years ago at age 50. I haven't been the same since.

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Music? Hendrix to start.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Great thread Dan,

Inky - good choice on Teddy Roosevelt

Also would add Lee Harvey Oswald to clear up one bullet theory and General Lee too see if he would have changed his battle plan at Gettsyburg.

In sports - Babe Ruth

Draft saved Draft deleted