1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If we could get one famous person back, who would it be?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by DanOregon, Jun 30, 2009.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Seeing all the celeb death threads made me wonder...if you could bring back one celebrity/athlete/politician today at their age at the time of their death, who would it be?

I'm somewhat torn between Martin Luther King Jr. who I think still had some good work left in him, perhaps River Phoenix and Selena, maybe Davy Allison.
  2. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

John F. Kennedy.
  3. spnited

spnited Active Member

So you're torn among one of the most important men in our country's history, a mediocre actor, a singer who had no impact, and a race car driver?

How dumb is that premise?
  4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I'd go with MLK, too. I'd be interested in what his impact would have been in the 1970s or '80s.

My instinct was to say John Lennon, but in all honesty -- and I know it's blasphemy, because I'm one of the biggest John fans on this board, outside of maybe Starman -- I think he would have petered out musically a little like McCartney has done. Just not sure how much impact he would have had, other than being another ex-Beatle.
  6. DanOregon

I tried to take one from each of the different categories. People can go any way they want to with the question.
  7. spnited

spnited Active Member

I think the only logical answers are Jack Kennedy or Martin Luther King because of their potential impact on the world.

Celebrities don't really rate in this discussion ... not even "celebrities" with the social/political awareness and influence of someone like Lennon.
  8. DanOregon

I agree, but if someone wants to pick a celeb as well, I think that would be okay.
  9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Is this to only include people who died prematurely? Because if not, I'd go with Einstein, Edison or Da Vinci.

Any one of them would probably be able to do some serious work with current technological and scientific advances.
  10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

MLK reincarnated today would be outshouted by Sharpton. I'd like to have Paul Wellstone back, because now he could actually have real influence.
  11. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Actually, between the two, I'd take Robert Kennedy. I think the trajectory of his impact had greater potential.
  12. DanOregon

RFK alive, maybe he beats Nixon, no Watergate, no Bork, no Bork getting rejected for the Supreme Court, no breakthrough with China, interesting...

on second thought: (pulled this from American Heritage.com)

Diplomatic concerns aside, Kennedy could not and would not have been nominated by his party. It is true that by August 1968, when the Democratic National Convention opened in Chicago, 38.7 percent of Democratic primary voters had cast ballots for McCarthy and 30.6 percent had cast ballots for Kennedy, meaning that over two-thirds of primary voters had supported candidates who called for a negotiated settlement of the war in Southeast Asia. By contrast, only 2.2 percent of primary voters had supported Vice President Hubert Humphrey, who initially adhered to the administration’s hard line on Vietnam

But in 1968 only 15 states chose their delegates by primary. At least 57 percent of convention delegates were selected by county committeemen, state party apparatchiks, and elected officials. As early as June 2, even before Kennedy’s assassination, the vice president’s advisers had sewn up enough delegates to secure the nomination. Humphrey did not need grass-roots support to win; all he needed was the party bosses.
Draft saved Draft deleted