1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If we are indeed on the cusp of WW3, how are you preparing?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Almost_Famous, Aug 10, 2006.

1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Another link:

http://www.ready.gov/america/getakit/index.html

2. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

As I live in one of the areas that is most heavily targetted (yet still watched as funding dropped) I have done just about nothing.

If I'm going to die, well, so be it. I've lived a good life. I've done things I never thought I would do. I've been places I never thought I would go.

I damn sure am not going to curl up into a ball and cry about missing out on all that could have been.

3. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

I love the part in the post where the government says to store plenty of non-perishable foods that your family likes.

I can just see my wife and I sitting in a duct tape-and-plastic room somewhere, listening to two sounds — the boom of the nuclear explosions and my 4-year-old son bitching about how he doesn't like the canned peas I picked.

In any event, if World War III — the nuclear kind, not this Mission Impossible terrorism shit — were really to happen, I'd load up the minivan and head north to the in-laws' house. Its rural, they're well armed, and he's got a satellite dish that gets the Spice Channel. So I'd be set.

4. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

You COULD just live in your VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER!!!!

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I'd rather be turned into a million specs of dust than to keep a gun in my home. And I live as close to a bevy of potential terror targets (whish is probably more likely than WWIII breaking out in your neighborhood) as someone can get.

You really think that everyone should go out and buy three guns because they are afraid of WWIII? That sure explains many of the problems we have.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I think people are going out and buying three guns because they are afraid of Maurice Clarett.

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Well, we know maurice was prepared...guns, bullet-proof vest, vodka.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

That makes a helluva lot more sense than these pussy-ass Chicken Little's freaking out at the slightest provocation of what they think is WWIII.

I swear to God, there's too many people that have the perspective of a fruit fly. None of what is going on in the world right now portends WWIII. There's people around the world who don't like us -- none of them have the capacity to wipe us out or come close. This shit has been going on in some form, in some region, forever.

And if Al-Qaeda has settled for putting accelerants in their Big Gulp's, they're not exactly dealing from a position of WWIII strength.

And an outing alert: A_F is Francis "Psycho" Soyler from Stripes. Please, for the love of God, tell me I missed the sarcasm/facetious font in your original post.

What the fuck is a gun going to do against a dirty bomb or terrorist attack anyway? A_F, do you think Al-Qaeda is going to parachute in your neighborhood or something? You're tripping out on overexposure to Red Dawn, stick with what you know -- ill-informed betting and making shit up about your love life.

9. Bubbler

Correction on the outing alert: A_F is actually Private Hudson from Aliens ...

[​IMG]

GAME OVER, MAN, GAME OVER!

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

We're screwed.

The "Wolverines" are all in their 40s now. Too damn old to protect us.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I can't fault A_F for trying to be prepared for an emergency. Perhaps his cache won't be needed. Perhaps it'll come in handy during a rolling blackout or a winter storm.

12. Bubbler

What's he going to do? Shoot snow?

Draft saved Draft deleted