1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If TV and movie journalists were real...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Batman, Aug 18, 2014.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

He's a cross between Jay Mariotti and Rick Reilly.

2. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Michael McDougal as played by Randy Quaid in The Paper. That would be an interesting character in real life.

3. I doubt he cares, considering he never turns in an expense report with an airline ticket.

4. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

There were references on the show to him going on and returning from road trips. There was an early episode where he was in a press box.

Obviously, the reference to covering games from his couch made people think the character was more than loosely based on Lupica.

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

OK, that one made me laugh.

6. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Jason Sudeikis is playing Fletch in Fletch Won.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Same here.

8. Gold

Gold Active Member

I saw that movie in a California theater, and I was one of about six or eight people who laughed at that.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The great thing about Lou Grant is that the various reporter jealousies were written into show. People hated Rossi, felt Billie was Donovan's pet because he had a thing for her (I think they dated), and the sports department was mocked. The business guy hated when Lou big footed into his turf and Animal never felt that that reporters gave photogs much respect.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

"You work for the city. It was your turn."

11. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

If actual sports reporters were like the jerks portrayed in TV and movies, all of us would be hated by everyone we've ever covered.

12. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

But everyone loved Ray.

Draft saved Draft deleted