1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If this works, there may be raises

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Drip, Sep 8, 2008.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

Newspapers are desperate but here is an idea that may work.
    http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003846867

2. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Raises for who?

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Editors and publishers, I'm guessing.

4. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I abhor these press-release plants. Then, newspapers because it's about them -- and others -- believe these "stories." E&P picks up the release, and what it thinks is balance for the the horrible news in the industry, writes eight inches of pure unfiltered inches of crap.
    Here is the problem with the partnership, and partnerships of this kind. (Not just Zillow. Zillow is an awesome site and has become a damn-near household name among homeowners).

This is overall reach. 63 million of unfiltered newspaper readers. And advertisers aren't buying these numbers anymore. There is no way to know if that newspaper reader is interested in real estate. For all the advertiser knows, that user is looking for three-legged, gray Dalmatian puppies. Whereas, in search-based or focused sites, such as Zillow, the advertiser knows there is an immediate interest in the user by the simple fact of visitation.
    Other papers use such partnerships to blanket coverage the job market with marginal -- at best -- classified success. They cross-print/publish CareerBuilder or Yahoo! Hot Jobs.
    I would curb any enthusiasm.

Draft saved Draft deleted