1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If this happened to your kid, what would you do?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by boots, Jun 9, 2007.

1. boots

boots New Member

A Long Island boy crashed to the ground and broke his arm in gym class - after a teacher bound the tardy kid's legs with duct tape, police said yesterday.
    "The actions of the teacher are deplorable and reprehensible," said Frank Carasiti, superintendent of the Three Village School District, which includes Gelinas Junior High School in Setauket where the incident took place.
    The teacher, Matthew Foster, 52, of Shoreham, was arrested and charged with misdemeanor assault and endangering the welfare of a child. Foster also was placed on paid leave following the bizarre form of discipline.
    Foster, a 21-year veteran teacher who heads the school's physical education and health departments, allegedly got upset Thursday morning when the 15-year-old showed up late for gym class.
    "The teacher felt he [the student] had a tardiness problem getting to gym class," said Suffolk Police Capt. Gerard Gigante.
    When the freshman walked into the locker room "a few minutes late" and began changing his clothes, Foster met him with a roll of duct tape, Gigante said.
    "He discusses [the boy's] lateness and then proceeds to tape his legs," wrapping the heavy-duty adhesive around the boy's shorts "several times" and binding his thighs, Gigante said.
    Unable to remove the tape, the freshman hopped out to the gym and attempted to rip off the tape near the bleachers, police said. But he lost his balance and toppled over, striking the bleachers before landing on the floor and fracturing his left arm.
    School officials phoned the boy's mother, who drove him to a local hospital where he was treated and released.
    Foster, a former soccer coach for the district, was released from police custody late Thursday after his wife posted $1,000 bail, police said.
    Foster's lawyer said the police account of the incident is a "major mischaracterization of what happened."

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

I'd assure the financial well-being of my family for generations to come.

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Duct tape, duct tape? Is the gym teacher retarded?

God people are dumb.

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Yep.

5. markvid

markvid Guest

I'm not worried about cash so much as making sure this guy never steps foot near a student again.

6. shockey

shockey Active Member

um, both.

7. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Call a lawyer and have him file a civil suit against the school and the gym teacher. Then, I call the cops and file assault charges against the gym teacher.

8. leo1

leo1 Active Member

i'd settle down. you can sue. you'll get a settlement. no one's getting rich off of this. a few grand - i'd guess less than $100,000 plus medical expenses if insurance doesn't cover it. a nice payday but no one is getting financially set for years to come.

it's awful and that teacher needs a swift kick in the mouth but the kid will be fine.

9. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

Newsday's second-day story quotes an anonymous school district official as saying he'll never work there again.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I'd sue, press criminal charges, and then, out of the proceeds of the lawsuit, make sure somebody with a baseball bat paid a little visit on Coach Buzzcut.

Sure, I'd go on trial myself as a result, but don't you see? I was irrational! A distraught parent driven crazy by an attack on my child!! You can't seriously think I was in my right mind, can you, Your Honor? Or Ladies and Gentlemen of the Jury?? ;)

Then, of course, as my "community service," I could Mentor At-Risk Students in Anger Management Classes. ;D

11. ralph wiggum

ralph wiggum Member

I'd tell my kid to stop being late for class

12. chazp

chazp Active Member

Dumbest teacher I've ever heard of. But, it would set my family up for life.

Draft saved Draft deleted