1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If Things Are As Bad As We All Think...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Sammi, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Sammi

Sammi Member

Why is Syracuse starting a Sports Communications Emphasis? And why is Arizona State expanding its sports journalism focus? https://asunews.asu.edu/20121026_sportsreporting

Surely, it's not simply to suck money out of unsuspecting parents' wallets. Is it?

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

More and more ex-journalists going into the teaching profession?

3. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Not understanding the question. Sports media isn't going away.

4. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Sports coverage is still prominent. It's just shifting, especially in the medium it's delivered. I don't think I'd want to enter sports journalism right now, but I probably shouldn't have when I did.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The most baffling part of the last five years in journalism has been the record enrollment levels at J-schools. I'd never pay for it for my kids, but you can't fault the schools for meeting demand.

Also, people deciding to get into these fields are people operating under the "money doesn't matter, I want to enjoy life" mindset common to younger people. It usually doesn't dawn on people for at least 10 more years that money does, in fact, matter.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

In terms of shear numbers, there are more journalism positions out there than at any time in my lifetime. Certainly far more than when I was in school. When you think of all the extra outlets online and such, far more. Used to be a town might have one newspaper (or two if it was a big city) and 2-3 TV stations and that was it.

Now, more than ever, journalism isn't limited to just newspapers.

As for jobs available after graduation, well, that's something being talked about students in plenty of majors. I wouldn't particularly want to be a college student right now. But if I were, you still have to move forward in pursuit of whatever.

7. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

10 years? Shit. About a month after I took my first job, I thought, "Hey, strong financial footing and not living in the middle of nowhere are profoundly underrated things."

8. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

If I'd have had any idea 25 years ago about how journalism would be inundated by mindless, moronic fanboys with no ability, no professionalism, no education and no ethics, I'd have never gotten into this field. Period.

9. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Newspapers are dying.

Journalism is not.

Overstaffing is a thing of the past.

Sports coverage is not.

10. Doc Holliday

You misunderstand my statement. I'd be more than happy to write for an online publication, print publication or do video or audio were it the same media today as it was 25 years ago. It's changed, though, for the worse. Never seen so many hacks and illiterate idiots in this business in all my life. I used to be proud to tell people I was a member of the media. Now it's embarrassing.

Again, I'd never gotten into any media had I any clue of what was coming down the pipe. Nothing but fanboys and backslappers.

11. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

I agreed with your above post.

It's the premise of the thread I'm responding to.

12. Doc Holliday

Ooops. My bad. Carry on.

Draft saved Draft deleted