1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If these people can gain fame, anyone can....so plan your own damn tv show

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dog eat dog world, Sep 1, 2012.

1. dog eat dog world

dog eat dog world New Member

Anyone heard or seen "Honey Boo-Boo Child" on TLC?
    Seems this little girl belonging to this deep woods redneck family was on a previous TLC show about kids in beauty pageants. In one episode, we have a weight-gaining and weight-losing contest, the acquisition and release of a pet baby pig, the fat mama showing off her chewed up toe and an exchange of farts....the poster family for train wreck.
    The lil girl is actually somewhat near cute but that family....good Lord.

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

That little girl is "actually somewhat near cute" only in the sense that all little kids have a mild degree of cuteness they can play up when they want to get things. If this were Lord of the Flies, we'd be marching around with her head on a stick and body on a spit.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That's highly misleading, although no less troubling. If you took the number of people who watched the convention on all of the networks combined, plus Fox and CNN and C-SPAN (where I watched it), the RNC numbers would have crushed whatever the fuck that God forsaken show is called.

When a show is on 10 different channels, it's going to get mediocre ratings for each specific channel. Fox News didn't do itself any favors either, because if you tried to DVR the convention, you had to DVR all of the regular shows because they were going back and forth between the analysts and the convention, which was annoying as hell. We opted to just watch it on C-SPAN.

Yes, it's still disturbing... :D

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

And it gets worse ... read to the last graph to see what's in the on-deck circle:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/here-comes-honey-boo-boo-ratings-tlc-season-2-365316

6. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

I've only seen clips of it on "The Soup," but "Small Town Security" on AMC looks like a collection of some of the least desirable people this fine country has to offer.

7. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Talking Heads long ago advocated planning your own damn TV show.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=i6ZVEMzvZIY

8. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

I love the show, and I am not ashamed to say it. It is what it is, and that is a completely mindless half hour out of my week. Should I use that time to read or learn something? Sure, but after working 50 hours a week, going back to get my Masters, trying to sustain my struggling LLC and finding time to love my wife and kid I think that half hour of brain cooking is allowed.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

6[/almostfamous]

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I would bet that 90 percent of us have some TV show that we're embarrassed to admit that we love to watch.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I happy to say I have no idea who this kid is.

12. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Not quite so hilarious when I was in college. TLC was once really a learning channel, pretty much for schools to use as programming when they didn't have anything else for their college/university TV stations. We used it at Pitt State. There was a toggle switch in the master control room: On for our signal, off for TLC to go out. But for some reason, there wasn't a preview monitor for TLC, so we'd flip the switch off after a football game or a newscast and treat any viewers who were left to a sudden close up of eye surgery or animal dissection.

Now that was some reality television!

Draft saved Draft deleted