1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If there is a Sopranos movie....

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Simon_Cowbell, Jun 12, 2007.

?

Who will be the highest-ranking non-incarcerated member?

1. Tony

4 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Meadow

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  3. A.J.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Paulie

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  5. Walden

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  6. Sil

3 vote(s)
    25.0%
  7. Other

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

If he does that, he might as well send it directly to HBO cause after word gets out on the first weekend, no one will see it.

2. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

OK, then film two endings: guilty & not guilty and release both to the public. Everyone will go crazy trying to find a theater that carries the alternate ending.

3. mltru2tx

mltru2tx Member

I would actually love the prequel. I think that would be fascinating and would garner big $$ at the box office. Maybe starting when Tony graduated high school and have an actor to play the "young Tony Soprano" for the first 30-45 minutes, then have Gandolfini step in with the whole cast of character, including the deads (Pussy, etc.)

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

God, please don't let there be a move,

That'd be like writing a prequel to Macbeth.

5. Big Game

Big Game Member

Put me in the "No movie" camp. I loved the series and don't think it should be messed with. I'm trying to think of TV shows that have had successful transitions to the silver screen and I'm drawing a blank. I'm sure there's a few out there, so please, mention them.

That said, if there IS a movie, I'll be one of the first in line to see it. I guess that's all that matters, eh?

6. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

If there's a movie it should be set in the 1960s and focus on Junior and Johnny Boy. Kind of an extension of the storyline from the second season when they showed the basis of Janice and Tony's relationship with their mom.

7. Obviously nowhere near the depth of the Sopranos, but I enjoyed the Beavis and Butthead movie as well as the South Park movie.

8. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

I don't know that the general public would care enough about those characters/ that story to make this profitable. Gandolfini would have to be the star. I guess they could do a prequel because you'd need to incorporate some of the characters who have been whacked, but I think the public really cares about what happens next, not before. Right now people would really be happiest if the movie opened up right where the finale ended. Five years from now? I'm not sure the demand would be as high. If everyone knows they're doing it just for the money I don't think it's be a huuuge financial success. I don't think they ever do a movie and part of me hopes they don't.

9. mltru2tx

mltru2tx Member

I don't want a movie picking up from the finale. I really liked the way we were left in the finale. I would find a prequel very interesting. But to each his own.

10. dog428

dog428 Active Member

You can count on one of two things happening: A movie or a spinoff series.

Write it down.

Predicting this is pretty easy. Look what happened at the end of the series. All of these people who were thinking it would be cool to end this gravy train suddenly realized that this shit was about to be over -- no more paychecks from HBO, no more free meals, no more comps. Shit hit the fan. They fleshed out the final nine episodes into two seasons, Chase, the great "artist," added eight worthless episodes to the series and covered the trials and tribulations of a secondary character's hidden lifestyle.

Why? Because they wanted the money. How much did they want it? After HBO, which would've agreed to pretty much anything so long as Chase kept dishing out episodes, agreed to extend the series and Chase agreed to write the series, the B-listers, knowing they had everybody by the balls, held out for the most money possible.

Why? Because they know this is it. It ain't like Gandolfini and the gang are exactly rolling in production offers. Hell, Gandolfini's major project right now is a documentary on some shit. Chase isn't doing dick. Falco will probably get some work. But what's Sirico and those other made-for-only-a-gangster-role actors gonna do? All of them had 18 months at a time between seasons and the biggest role to come out of that down time was Sirico's pitching of a OTC energy drug.

I give it two years -- TOPS.

11. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

And there is plenty of material to still hit on.

12. After all, the Homicide movie was such a raging success. ::)

A Sopranos movie would be a pure money grab, and would spoil the product he produced. Why Chase would want to reconstruct GF II's flashback framework when he just spent 86 hours deconstructing it is beyond me. And to me, the idea of Tony Soprano leaving his federal case defense to his wet-behind-the-ears daughter and jibone of a husband is crazy.

Draft saved Draft deleted