1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If there is a Sopranos movie....

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Simon_Cowbell, Jun 12, 2007.

?

Who will be the highest-ranking non-incarcerated member?

1. Tony

4 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Meadow

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  3. A.J.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Paulie

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  5. Walden

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  6. Sil

3 vote(s)
    25.0%
  7. Other

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I think there will definitely be a film.

Unless Gandolfini really has no compunction to return after three years out of it.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Tony. If he's in jail, there's no need for the film. The series revolved around him on the outside for a reason.
    You don't handcuff your product by keeping the star in a 4x10 cell unless it's about life on the inside.
    Since being on the outside, obviously, made the plots more effective... he ain't goin to jail no how, no time...

3. Simon_Cowbell

You could have a lot of fun with him in the can for the first 45 minutes, interspersing flashbacks and cool prison life stuff.

And, hell, this movie could be 5 or even 10 years down the road.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I don't think they'll do a film...

Quite simply, it will cost too much... A studio would be insane to put up $100 million, which is what it will cost at a minimum just based on star's salaries...

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

... it would be a prequel to help curb the salary/cast issues.

6. Simon_Cowbell

Dude, I can't think of a single actor who will command even close to the $10-15M Gandolfini would get.

I think that movie would make $250M easy.

No special effects to blow up the budget.

7. I don't think this will happen. But if it does, I expect it to be a prequel that takes us through Tony's formidable years into how he came into his position.

8. Simon_Cowbell

It might be both, in itself an homage to GF II.

The prison scenes with Tony (or, as blowhard Sid Rosenberg refers to him: Jimmy) would be worth the ticket right there.

9. If done right, that has some serious, serious potential.

10. tonysoprano

tonysoprano Member

I found it fascinating (it may have been another thread), when someone mentioned Spielberg and Gandolfini .... I think he could do wonders with a Sopranos movie.

11. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

A movie would be worthless. What storylines could they do that they couldn't do on HBO? And an hour and a half-two hour movie to wrap up a show that aired for 85 episodes? Silly, silly, silly. Now if down the line, they want to do a rise of the Soprano Family mini-series on HBO or something focusing on Tony's last days, that would be OK.

12. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

No way can Spielberg improve this movie. He doesn't have that Jersey feel and doesn't have the insight into the mind of Tony Soprano that Chase does. Chase is the only guy suitable to direct a Sopranos movie...or maybe Little Carmine (/ducking). Speaking of which, here's my little theory on a possible movie, which would probably have to be closer to three hours than two:

Two years from now, we see Tony, et al, in court being defended by Patrick & Meadow Soprano-Parisi. This would probably work best as a GF2-like film, because you can't do this movie without Big Puss, Chris, Richie, Ralphie, Sil & Bobby. It would probably alternate between the trial proceedings and Tony's formative years in LCN. We finally get to see exactly what turned Tony into the monster we know him to be...and so does Meadow. As she & Patrick do research into how they can defend Tony, she learns more and more about what exactly he's been doing her entire life and becomes more and more disgusted as the trial goes on. Eventually, she gives up on him and leaves his defense. Carm acts stunned, surprised and shocked when she learns about the gory details while A.J. bumbles along. Eventually, A.J. gets into some shit he can't have daddy help him out of and bites the bullet while Carm finally cuts herself off from Tony.

The night before the verdict is announced, we see Tony sleeping in his bed and going through one last dream sequence. Then, at the trial, Chase shows the jury walking in, the bailiff handing the verdict to the judge, and Tony finally lets on that he's worried by the appearance of a little sweat on that massive forehead.

Judge: Has the jury reached a verdict?

Foreman: Yes, we have Your Honor.

Judge: How does the jury find the defendant?

Foreman: We, the jury, find Anthony Soprano...

Quick cut to black. End of movie. Chase gives us the bird again and riots ensue.

Draft saved Draft deleted