1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If the presidential election were held today, who would you vote for?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Sep 29, 2011.

?

If the presidential election were held today, who would you vote for?

1. Barack Obama

72 vote(s)
    56.7%
  2. Chris Christie

8 vote(s)
    6.3%
  3. Rick Perry

5 vote(s)
    3.9%
  4. Mitt Romney

8 vote(s)
    6.3%
  5. Michele Bachmann

2 vote(s)
    1.6%
  6. Herman Cain

10 vote(s)
    7.9%
  7. Ron Paul

4 vote(s)
    3.1%
  8. Rick Santorum

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  9. Jon Huntsman

10 vote(s)
    7.9%
  10. Sarah Palin

3 vote(s)
    2.4%
  11. Newt Gingrich

2 vote(s)
    1.6%
  12. Ralph Nader

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  13. Gary Johnson

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  1. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I look at the list and it reminds me that, while I really do believe we have the best system of government, the biggest problem with it is that I find it impossible to trust anyone who:

A.) Really wants to be president
    B.) Will do what it takes to become president

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think we have the best system of government. I think the way our president gets elected is just idiotic.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I like the Chicago system. Everyone in one pool for the primary, then the top two candidates face off in the general regardless of party. If someone gets more than 50 percent, the general election is canceled and that person is president.

Now I'll wait for Mizzou to tell me what a fucking idiot I am while he smokes a cigar with Frank DeFord and doesn't watch the baseball playoffs.

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I wonder what percentage of people who are sure we have the best system of government have actually spent a lot of time studying other forms of government.

Our government system is solid, especially when you park-adjust it for how difficult a country of this size and demography is to govern, but the best?

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Love it or leave it, commie!

6. Mizzougrad96

I would love that system.

7. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Some revisionist history going on about the 1992 election.

Clinton won because a third party jumped in, pulled votes, money and support from the incumbent.

Clinton was all a well known figure among the Democratic insiders and self-annointed kingmakers. He had already been in politics for 20 years when he was elected president. He had given the keynote address at the 1988 convention and was something like an eight-term governor. He was hardly an unknown figure.

If you look around the Dems now, they have no one like that in the wings. There's not a lot of youth on either side of the aisle, or at least it seems that way to me.

But what could happen is a replay of 1992, assuming the Tea Party people stick around and are unhappy with the 2012 results. A Democrat could easily get elected if the Tea Party and Republicans have different nominees.

8. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

The Tea Party will not run a third party candidate. They have already indicated that the way they will punish the mainstream Republicans if someone like Romney gets the nomination is to screw them over with primaries down the ticket...and that's probably going to happen anyway.

Also, I don't think a lot of Republicans or conservatives think we can wait until 2016 because another four years of Obama, especially when he does not have to worry about reelection, is a terrifying thought. I imagine it will be Romney, but don't count Palin out. Either one would beat Obama.

9. Mizzougrad96

I'll count Palin out...

Obama would crush her.

10. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. Mizzougrad96

I think a lot of people think Rubio would be the leading candidate for 2016 if Obama gets re-elected.

12. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

Great, cue the lefty birthers.

Draft saved Draft deleted