1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"If the NY Times is around in five years ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pulitzer Wannabe, Feb 22, 2008.

1. ... I'll be shocked."

Some douche on Hannity & Colmes seriously just said this. Talk about fucking hyperbole. Idiots. I love politics, but I hate it, too.

How come every story becomes about the media covering the media? Do people really give a shit?

2. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Tell the asshole I want to take that bet.

3. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

They believe this bullshit. Recently I received an e-mail from an old high school friend. We were part of the same crowd of longhairs in the 1970s, but he's gone right-wing. Anyway, I get this e-mail that refers to the NYT "when it had serious circulation." I wrote back and said, pal, I have on this desk a 1974 almanac, and according to it, the NYT had about 150,000 less paid daily circulation then than it does now. I resisted the urge to tell him to stop believing everything he hears on talk radio -- I think he's losing his mind, but we go back a long way and I don't want to insult him.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Awww, go ahead. Sounds like it will do him good.

5. NY Times will be around a lot longer than Fox News ...

6. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Active Member

It's not whether the New York Times will be around in five years. It's how many of our papers will still be around in five, or maybe 10, years.

Of course the Times will still be around.

Of course you and I won't be working there.

7. Frank_Ridgeway

I don't believe their point is that even the mighty New York Times is suffering from the same market conditions that are hurting almost every newspaper. I believe their point is that the mighty New York Times, which receives its news direction each day by fax from Havana, is suffering because Americans are rejecting its biased reporting. But their glee begins with false premises.

8. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Is it ok if I work there? I mean, if you and Frank don't want the job.

9. Frank_Ridgeway

DD, I doubt they would hire someone who thinks Pearl Jam is more important than Nirvana, so you can forget that little dream right fucking now.

10. What do you mean by this Frank? I don't understand ... you're saying Castro dictates what the paper writes?

11. Frank_Ridgeway

I was saying that's what the talk-radio morons think. Not me.

12. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Might be true. But then, Tom Jolly might be a huge Vedder fan. Ya never know. Plus, Rearviewmirror could really be the theme song for the Times in recent years.

Draft saved Draft deleted