1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If the New Yorker cover is satire, Obama's camp isn't laughing.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Jul 14, 2008.

1. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

Old, rich, white New Yorkers in general - and clearly the people who run the magazine - are the last people I want making racial commentary and satire. Totally out of touch.

John McLaughlin called Obama "an Oreo" on his show Sunday.

It is what it is.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Have you ever read the New Yorker?

3. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

Yes, it's a liberal magazine. Your point?

4. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

David Remnick is 49. And by consensus, the best magazine editor in the country.

5. Mizzougrad96

Agree completely.

6. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

I wish Seymour Hersh's last piece generated as much noise as this forgettable cover did.

Sigh, etc

7. Mizzougrad96

But Hersh's stories only appealed to rich, white New Yorkers. :D

8. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

He made a bad call here. It happens.

9. Mizzougrad96

I'm sure he is in the fetal position after receiving your criticism...

10. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

How so?

11. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

Visuals mean something. They are very powerful and when a high profile magazine like The New Yorker comes out with something like this, the mainstream media takes notice. If the media takes notice, it will seep into public discussion across America. The New Yorker may think that’s a good thing but those images in the controversial picture feed into a certain stereotype. And while The New Yorker may think that portrayal isn’t accurate, Obama’s critics on the right think the picture is spot on. I mean, this thing has ‘copy and paste” written all over it. Expect to see this jpeg picture popping up in conservative emails everywhere. Also, the picture can and will be used as future discussion points about some of the Obama ‘controversies”.

http://www.cbn.com/CBNnews/408817.aspx

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

There are more New Yorker subscribers from California than there are from New York state. Typical subscriber is 45 or so, old for a magazine demographic, but not granny and grandpa. And they may be rich by typical American standards ($75K or $80K a year), but I think "highly educated" characterizes the typical New Yorker reader more than "insanely rich."

It does beg the question about who you deem worthy of making racial commentary and satire, though.

Draft saved Draft deleted