1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If the New Yorker cover is satire, Obama's camp isn't laughing.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Jul 14, 2008.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I do love it when posters on this site take it upon themselves to speak up for other posters. I find it a real time-saver. ::)

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Three points:

1. There's no reason whatsoever for an apology.
    2. The Obama camp overreacted.
    3. The satire has served its purpose.

3. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I would be shocked to see an apology.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Much agreed.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Then the next issue should have a cover of McCain kicking a crippled wife to the curb while groping a hot blonde with his right hand and the left hand is reaching for a big red button.

Or maybe have him sitting at a computer with a dunce cap on, but having the monitor spun around in the wrong direction.

Sure they should not apologize, but it still does not take away that it was a very poor cover.

6. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Money talks. If enough people bitch/cancel their subscription/accuse the magazine of whoring/advertisers bail/pressure the publisher... he'll crack.

These stories have a way of hurricaning sometimes-- like the way the Imus story did.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Burn the flag? OK

Osama on the wall? Fine.

But jeez, couldn't they at least have made Michelle's hair straight?

8. Mizzougrad96

Yeah, they should definitely do a cover about something that happened almost 30 years ago. I'm sure they would sell a lot of issues.

9. Mizzougrad96

Not as funny. :D

10. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

What about a picture of McCain being viciously tortured in a P.O.W. camp with a bubble that has him reciting the names of the Steelers?

11. 93Devil

If they stop talking about his internment and the Packers/Steelers line he would feed his captors, then he can get a pass on the wives situation.

12. 93Devil

It might be the starting line for the 1980 Redskins if he was talking to WTOP.

Draft saved Draft deleted