1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If the New Yorker cover is satire, Obama's camp isn't laughing.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Jul 14, 2008.

1. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

I ask only because Monday mornings are a good time for splitting hairs...

Is "funny" even part of the definition of "satire"?

I didn't think it necessarily needed to be funny to still be satire.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It's not the New Yorker's job to change itself because of fears that the country isn't enlightened enough to deal with race issues. Maybe the New Yorker should keep being the New Yorker and anyone with a racist agenda is the one with the problem?

The New Yorker is familiar to many on a message board like this, but my sense is relatively few people who will misunderstand the cover will ever even see it. The magazine has about a million readers. They'll all understand it--although I am sure there will be the outraged letters by people afraid of racists misinterpreting it. It's much ado about nothing. My sense is that 99.9 percent of America never sees the New Yorker and has no clue what it even is.

3. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

I subscribe to both The New Yorker and Texas Monthly.

My mail lady once asked me why I'd moved around so much in my life.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm sure spinning thinks the New Yorker is now the most racist magazine in the history of the US.

5. The Big Ragu

Add the Atlantic Monthly and you are probably getting yourself the most bang for your reading buck.

6. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

I've thought about it. But shit, Atlantic Monthly makes itself feel like homework sometimes.

No more so than the New Yorker, mind you, but still... I don't know if I want to try to hack both magazines.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I just let my subscription end to The New Yorker about two years ago, the same time I stopped getting most magazines. The only magazines I still get are Esquire and Rolling Stone.

8. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I don't think anybody is saying The New Yorker needs to avoid being itself because of how things can be misinterpreted. It's more, I think, an observation of how things, once loosed upon the world, can become wildly distorted and used for political and personal gain.

You said the magazine has about a million readers. The attacks upon Obama that find their way to my in-box start from a single computer, and they circulate damn well because people believe them.

I think you underestimate the number of people who will see this and misinterpret it as a result of someone selfishly wanting them to (but that doesn't mean I necessarily think The New Yorker erred in any way).

9. The Big Ragu

Maybe you're right, JD. I did see a Danish cartoon once from a publication I never imagined existed.

I still wonder if the preemptive outrage on this is much ado about nothing. Only someone blatantly racist is not going to understand that cover and even so, what can they really do with it?

10. 21

21 Well-Known Member

The publicity over this has already reached the folks who have never once looked at The New Yorker, don't understand or know its politics or editorial platform. I have to believe most will think 'Why can't they leave that poor Barack Obama alone!' and the rest--those who are still looking for Muslim symbols in his necktie patterns--are thinking, 'See, there has to be something to this.'

I'm a New Yorker subscriber, backed up to the Ross Perot campaign, I vote for 'Slightly over the top but fair-game political commentary during a campaign.'

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Fox News will have this cover on their network. I will bet a months paycheck on that.

So more people than the New Yorker subscribers will see it.

---

There are so many other potential drawings to do. Why this?

Why not Obama childishly smoking outside of the football field in Denver?

Why not have him giving a speech with all the newspaper headlines behind him?

A little more thought might have brought a better idea.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Boom goes the dynamite.

http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&tab=wn&ned=&ie=UTF-8&q=obama+%22new+yorker%22&scoring=n

Draft saved Draft deleted