1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If the New Yorker cover is satire, Obama's camp isn't laughing.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Jul 14, 2008.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The upcoming New Yorker cover features Barack and Michelle in the Oval Office in an attempt at parody...
    http://www.politico.com/blogs/jonathanmartin/0708/Ya_cant_make_it_up.html

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Can't wait to hear the rationale.

3. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

The problem with having a black candidate is that no matter how you do a parody or a satirical sketch or whatever of him -- his handlers and his media enablers will and do always cry racism and that's just how it is and will be.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Maybe this cover would have worked for Mad Magazine.

Maybe.

Possibly for Cracked.

5. Yeah, the New Yorker is always on the forefront of racism in America.

They're giving each other a "terrorist fist jab." The cover is poking fun at the anti-Obama misinformation campaign. I think New Yorker readers are sophisticated enough to figure that out.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Think.
    Never think or assume.

7. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, New Yorker readers aren't the only people who will see the cover. The latter will far, far outnumber the former.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Jeez. It's the New Yorker. There is nothing subtly racist about it and it's readers , who resubscribe at the highest re-up rate of any magazine, I believe, and are as homogeneous a group of readers as there probably is in America -- a Volvo and a BMW with "Vote for Obama" stickers on the bumpers. Open up any issue of the New Yorker and the first thing you'll likely see when you get to Talk of the Town is a long item from Hendrik Hertzberg or David Remnick himself, making an incredibly well-written, left-leaning (I use the word "leaning" liberally) argument.

The cover is satire. Black Dude with a Pompano got it right. Blatant or subtle racism may still be prevalent in parts of America, but jeez, if anybody gets a pass on something like this, it's the New Yorker. It may actually have been its wittiest cover in a long while. Usually the humor is right out of a P. G. Wodehouse novel that has been heavily edited by Queen Victoria.

9. Johnny Dangerously

We know that.

And I never said I disapproved or didn't get the joke.

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

It's unfortunate that stupid people will take this the wrong way and that cynical political operatives will ensure that as many stupid people as possible see it, but the artist is clearly satirizing the GOP's inevitable fear-mongering. I won't be canceling my subscription over it.

11. Johnny Dangerously

And that's all I'm saying.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

New Yorker readers are... The rest of the country, not so much...

Draft saved Draft deleted