1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If the NBA was run by the WWE

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by spikechiquet, Jun 17, 2011.

1. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

A series of posts from a buddy of mine that is an ME at a small daily in Texas...too awesome to just leave for his friends to read...must be shared:

Shouldn't LeBron just go full-on heel turn at this point? I say show up at the Mavs championship parade, interrupt Dirk's speech with Jerry The King Lawler's entrance music, and say you're turning your back on all the fans and throw J.J. Barea through a table.
    Seriously, this would be instantly compelling TV. Book the feud all the way out to next year's playoffs, where LeBron somehow gets himself named a special referee in Dallas' conference series against an "inferior" opponent (say, Oklahoma City). LeBron screws Dallas out of the finals, only to turn around and have the Heat lose to the Thunder in seven games, culminating in LBJ screaming "I'M the KING! not you! ME!" during the OKC trophy ceremony. D-Wade walks over to try to get him walk him off the court, only for LeBron to superkick him through a pane of glass. That sets up LeBron vs D-Wade (who gets traded to the Spurs via LeBron claiming he wasn't good enough to help him get the title) for the next NBA finals. c'mon, stern. make it happen.

Also, the nba should have the Intercontinental championship for young, up-and-coming midcard teams like the Grizzlies, Pacers and Sixers to feud over and get them over with the fans. And Ric Flair should coach the Bobcats, just because.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

First, LeBron did his heel turn last summer, and joined the New World Order:

(there are several versions of these, this one's my favorite, and in my opinion, the best one)

The Heat go through the season trouncing the hell out of everyone. Kobe, who everyone was hating, turns into a babyface by proxy, just because he's the first one to stand up to them. But in-fighting with the Lakers messes them up (like the Four Horsemen), and the Heat run roughshod over them.

Then David Stern makes an appeal to the rest of the teams: "Someone, stop the Heat!" The Celtics step up, talk about pride and tradition. But they fail too, as Joey Crawford calls fouls on everyone wearing green. But the Celtics hang in until the end, when Paul Pierce gets fouled down by one. Pierce starts to shoot the first of his two free throws, then the buzzer goes off, and Crawford says the game is over.

Doc Rivers looks to Stern in the press box for an appeal, then Stern walks down to the parquet floor, and spits on the Celtics logo as Ernie Johnson yells out: "GOOD GOD ALMIGHTY! DAVID STERN JUST TURNED HIS BACK ON THE NBA!" This becomes known as the "Boston Screwjob".

Stern then makes the proclamation that everyone must lose to the Heat. Fans end up hating them, although a few smart fans start cheering them because they seem cool.

inally, Mark Cuban says, 'F' this, I hate Stern anyways, and leads the Mavericks into the finals. Stern tries to do everything to Cuban, fines, suspensions. Cuban defies Stern. Crawford, the hand-picked ref, gets the crap beat out of him by Jason Terry. Nowitzki does his five post moves, and the Mavs win, as LeBron crawls away.

3. billikens

billikens Member

This was my favorite Lebron/Pro Wrestling video:

4. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Haha, never seen those before...that's pretty funny also.

5. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

I've always wondered if a business could be successful in a basketball-meets-WWE style. Have different ball players, with different styles, playing one-on-one in scripted games. Have the big, burly 7-footer, the quick little ballhandler, the high-flyer, etc. Give them personalities, have them do on-court promos. Have 3-on-3 teams instead of intercontinental belts. Give some managers. Have hot women. Have them tour the country playing on courts, streetball, gyms, etc.

I don't know... something I've long thought would be interesting, at least.

6. [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

The WWE is fixed, so who says its not like the NBA?

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

It could be called the XBA.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I don't think Vince McMahon could have done a better job helping LBJ go from beloved superstar to most-hated player in the NBA than LeBron did on his own.

Draft saved Draft deleted