1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If the Mets could ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Columbo, Jul 28, 2006.

?

... swap starting fives with the Marlins right now, just for this season, should they?

1. Yes

12 vote(s)
    46.2%
  2. No

14 vote(s)
    53.8%
  1. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I'm ashamed that I have contributed to this monumentally stupid thread. I'm even more ashamed that I will make one last contribution to this thread.

There is one National League team that could beat the Mets in the playoffs. That team is the L.A. Dodgers. The Reds, Astros, Marlins, Cards and Padres don't have a snowball's chance in hell to beat the Mets.

And with that, I bid this thread adieu...

2. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Man, you are delusional.

3. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

In a 5 game series, there's no such thing. KC just swept the Sox & did it to the Yanks last year. One bad break, one mini-slump, an SP with a head cold & your season's over.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

There's that, and I just don't think the Mets are that good. Watching them dominate the NL is a lot like watching Matt Dillon win at football in "Something About Mary."

Special my ass.

5. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Special... or exceptional?

Hilarious line

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Fuck, I think it was exceptional. My bad.

7. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Gotta agree with hockeybeat. Everybody seems to be focusing on the Mets' shortcomings without paying attention to their strong points. Their pitching is iffy, but so is everybody else's, with the exception of the Astros, who can't hit, and the Dodgers, who don't put as strong a lineup out there as the Mets. And by the way, the Dodgers' starting pitching doesn't blow me away, either. If you think Glavine's shaky, you'd have to say the same about Maddux. Which leaves you Penny and Lowe, fine pitchers, but hardly the type that's likely to shut down the NY offense. The Mets have pounded everybody all year with this pitching staff. There's no reason to believe they won't continue to do the same in October.

Hard to believe for a NY team, but the Mets are underrated. They're playing in a weak league, so their accomplishments are undervalued. They're 30 games over .500. How much better than that could the Tigers or White Sox or Twins possibly be if they played in the NL? The Mets are almost certainly going to the Series, and they'll be a handful for whoever they play when they get there.

8. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Marlins pitching is right there, too.

9. If Superman fought for the Nazi - would Germany have won WWII?

10. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

I stand by it.

11. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

And we care because ... ?

12. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Because you couldn't have been more wrong.

Draft saved Draft deleted